You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How about a "Feature Request Voting/Status Board"?

I would love to see a page that's maintained outside the forum which allows two things.

1. A Feature Status Board of confirmed/unconfirmed feature requests. Confirmed items could have an optional "Projected release version/date" and maybe even a description of the feature and/or it's progress.
  2. Integrated into the Feature Status Board users would be able to vote for those features they desire most. I have seen this elsewhere where users have a budget of say 10 votes which each user can distribute as desired among the various requests. For example, I would place all 10 of my votes for the Text Envelope feature, where as someone else might put 5 votes on it, and the other 5 on other features.

I think with the above it would help users know where any given feature stands instead of searching through the forums "hoping" to find the right thread which has been updated with the latest information. It would perhaps also help with redundant posts asking the same thing and it seems it would help the developers keep a pulse on those features that are in most demand.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Serif has had some bad experiences trying to disclose more information, so I'm quite sure they won't want to implement your #1. And I'm also pretty sure they're not interested in voting.

Please see the following which relates to your point #1:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Users may suggest features but voting is something else.

All voting does is allow Serif to gauge customer interest in particular features. It doesn't dictate anything.

I find the quote "This is not a democracy, it's a private business. Customer views are interesting but not a deciding factor." quite disappointing, to be honest.  The software is made for the customers - the private business does not exist without them. Everything should be guided by the needs of the current or potential users, but statements like this really give the impression that Serif isn't all that interested.

Poll in a small internet forum? They would only reach a small percentage of their customer base this way - and only users that already voiced their opinion. I also have a feeling that forum users represent a very specific type of user. Fx the percentage of women here is... not what I am used to in creative circles and professional circles. This is more like a Linux forum.

A customer survey offered from and triggered by the software itself would be smarter - if at all possible because of GDPR and what not. But probably already too late to make any difference in v2.0 of Affinity.

Still probably much more interesting for Serif what the masses out there is longing for than what a tiny percentage in a forum requests. And even more interesting what people who didn't buy Affinity are looking for in budget software (!) like Affinity and also interesting what customers who shelved the programs after buying them have to say.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@JowdayFrom what I have seen, anyone who contacts Serif about this software on e.g. social channels are told to post feature requests here on this forum. This leads to multiple threads asking for the same features, so unless someone from Serif is doing a secret tally somewhere for each feature, it must be quite hard to judge what is a popular request!  

So some way to group requests would make sense, if they are truly interested in what matters to users.  Also having a list that can be voted on encourages more interaction - much less time required to add an upvote than to create a new forum thread. Something like the system Illustrator has. I agree that something in-app would be useful too and would catch the users who don't frequent the forums. 

As for 'customers who shelved the programs after buying them', I would consider myself within that group.  I bought Affinity Designer for Mac full of hope almost 5 years ago but I've still never been able to make it my main tool. I check here from time to time to see what has changed, but it's much harder to judge what's happening without any indication of what's being worked on.

As a woman, I'm interested in your assessment of the male/female split on here! Is it that easy to tell, with so many gender-neutral usernames??