You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: the image blurs after I paste or flatten layers

Hi, I am using Affinity Photo and I am quite pleased. However I have an issue when I paste portions of an image from a file to another, and it get worst when I flatten the layers (I localize screenshots from a software' GUI in my language, for tech.manuals etc.) . Sometime the portion that I paste blurs immediatly, and the blur increases more and more everytime I use the cmd+E shortcut (or "Merge Down" command in the menu).

Here my workflow :

1. Open the .tif file that I have to translate

2. Copy portions from various screenshots (.png files)

3. Paste them in the original  .tif file (creating new layers)

4. Move these portions here and there where needed

5. Flatten some layers where needed, or flatten them all.

Sometime the blur takes place immediatly after I paste, sometime it happens when I move the content of the layer, sometime it happens when I merge one or more layers.

Is there something I can set? (Same problem if the source file is same format of the target file).

Thank you

• Staff

Hi Federica,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
After pasting part of the image (and with that layer selected), go to the Transform panel and check if its X,Y coordinates are non-integer values. You may have to increase the number of decimal places for pixel units displayed in the Transform panel going to Affinity Preferences, User Interface, Decimal Places for Units Types section - set the Pixel value there to 3 or 4.

If that's the case, enable Force Pixel Alignment in the main toolbar and disable Move by whole pixels in the Snapping group (the one with a magnet icon) then drag the pasted layer a bit until it snaps to integer values. This should fix the blurring and subsequent issues with the merge/flatten operations.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:46 PM, MEB said:

Hi Federica,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
After pasting part of the image (and with that layer selected), go to the Transform panel and check if its X,Y coordinates are non-integer values.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have just checked and I confirm that what you say (X and Y coordinates switch to non-integer values after pasting or after moving the portion). In particular, It happens when I move my portion using the arrows. In fact, if I delete the decimals, the blur desappears and I can merge below without see any blur.

So I made the adjustment that you suggested (see in attachment) but it doesn't solve the issue. I also restarted the application, but nothing change.

As you can see in my attachment, I made a simple operation: I copied a rectangular from the background, I pasted it, and I merged below. The image is blurred (and the blur would be even more intense if I had merged another layer, as I often do). Note: this increasing does not take place with the command "Merge Visible" (alt + shift +cmd+ E).

Do you have other suggestions? Also, is it possible to define the offset value of the arrows?  Do you think it could help?

Thank you!

Schermata 2020-09-22 alle 10.01.46.png

Schermata 2020-09-22 alle 10.01.57.png

Schermata 2020-09-22 alle 10.01.22.png

Schermata 2020-09-22 alle 10.01.33.png