Mark Ingram

Benchmark 1900 Results

On 9/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, Joachim_L said:

i5-8500 @ 3.00 GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 630

As expected or bad?

benchmark.jpg

Does it make sense for me (or others having similar hardware) to enable Hardware acceleration at all? With OpenCL on I notice lags, redrawing errors (yes, drivers are up-to-date). Will OpenCL be a MUST or a CAN in future versions?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Does it make sense for me (or others having similar hardware) to enable Hardware acceleration at all? With OpenCL on I notice lags, redrawing errors (yes, drivers are up-to-date). Will OpenCL be a MUST or a CAN in future versions?

The benchmark is showing a 4X speed improvement using your GPU, so in theory, it should be faster for you to leave it enabled. But, we need to get solve the issues you're reporting for it to be worthwhile for you. For now the option is remaining off by default (until we're confident all of the reported issues have been solved).

15 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

no, it won't work with HD 630 yet , read my thread:

but I'm waiting for a good news 😀

@Lee Wardle

In Edit > Preferences > Performance switch on Hardware acceleration (OpenCL) and rerun the benchmark test

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Here is mine, and interesting thing Multi GPU score, lower than Single GPU... Intel driver is latest.

i7-3770 (3,40 GHz), 20 GB RAM

image.png.2afccbd9868447fc60bae31df98d73bb.png

Here is results after Intel HD 4000 disabled. Single GPU better, but other scores worse than before:

image.png.87658f023edf3dcb35402d6fb4ad63d1.png

And here is my old laptop with i7-2640M, 8 GB RAM and nVidia NVS-4200M

image.png.9ca1dcff88f23043a1fa0a4ad7780676.png

On 10/17/2020 at 2:16 AM, Aftemplate said:

Use the same hardware and affinity version.  @Mark Ingram  
Metal has greatly frustrated you OpenCL. you should fight back at Vulkan. 

You're not using the same drivers though unfortunately, so it's not a straight "OpenCL vs Metal" comparison here (i.e. swapping to Vulkan wouldn't be a guaranteed performance boost).

current laptop, not actually used for image editing much,

i5-5200U @ 2.2GHz, 16 GB ram (DDR3 @ 800MHz CL11)

GeForce 940M w/ 2GB VRAM, driver v. 456.71

Intel HD 5500, driver v. 20.19.15.4703 (from 2017-06-09 and apparently cannot be upgraded so perhaps this is it driver-wise)

image.png.e50cc2bbd6570b6c256a82a40753810e.png

This is what's actually used for editing around here.

i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM (DDR3 @ 800MHz CL9)

R9 390x with driver version  26.20.12028.2 (Adrenalin 19.20), which is the older version that Windows installs by default. The latest versions have apparently had an HDMI audio bug for a while now. 😐 I gave up on trying to get new drivers to work at some point.

image.png.9072d1aca1e6afab5e61393c458a1f69.png

AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core Processor @3,4Ghz
16 GB Ram
GTX 1060 6GB

This supports what I thought for a few months now, generally, Intel is a good bit quicker in the Affinity Programs than AMD is. My PC at work and at home have almost the same specs, yet at home I have AMD and at work Intel. My SSD at home is even faster but still it feels a bit more sluggish to work in AD and AP compared to the PC at work. Is there something like a list where we can see benchmark results to help decide for new hardware? The guys over at Blender have something like that (https://opendata.blender.org/) and I really like the idea of a publicly open overview of benchmarks. Sure, I can look through this thread but it is a bit cumbersome and I might miss something. :)

image.png.7627f50e6fb18bcab1e414e42e7e7adc.png

On 10/17/2020 at 9:16 AM, Aftemplate said:

image.png.4bdd02645e40c02600cac5f9ebf38645.pngscreenshot_08.jpg.997d55cd95a61566a08fc76a86a8274e.jpg

Use the same hardware and affinity version. 
Metal has greatly frustrated you OpenCL. you should fight back at Vulkan. 

image.png.8d124f4fedf8f852c0ada8ebb3922972.png
 @Novak  

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.