You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.733

2 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Sorry. My bad,. Only one object must be selected -- no more, no less. It works great.

Glad to hear it's working for you, too. Great!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Sorry. My bad,. Only one object must be selected -- no more, no less. It works great.

That gave me an idea... what if we could do that? "Select all objects with the same fill / stroke / opacity / etc. as the ones selected...". doesn't sound bad. I will add it to my suggestions topic.

Best regards!

Tried the Contour Tool as well. Very impressed with the results. Easy to use and it looks good in pretty much all tests I've tried.

I also like how the tool works well with other functionality like the Vector Shape Tools. You can still use the modifiers to reshape the object while the Contour Tool keeps doing its job non-destructively until you finally convert it into a destructive transformation.

If the devs keep pumping out tools of the same quality as this one every major update I would not have many reasons to use Illustrator over Designer in a couple of years.

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Added initial support for hardware acceleration (must be enabled in Preferences | Performance, "Enable OpenCL compute acceleration")

Does this mean we'll be able to freely rotate the canvas now? I came across a post sometime ago mentioning that the lack of hardware acceleration was the reason we don't have it in Windows. I'm fairly sure it wasn't any of the developers saying it, but I guess asking about it here doesn't hurt. :D

Anyone having any luck with OpenCL on AMD video cards?

I have 5 different Nvidia cards (970 and above) and OpenCL cripples performance in all my large files.

Also note to the devs the issue where WARP is still way faster compared to default on Nvidia cards still exists... either that should be fixed or you should change the default to WARP when Nvidia cards are detected.

1 hour ago, RPC said:

I have 5 different Nvidia cards (970 and above) and OpenCL cripples performance in all my large files.

Also note to the devs the issue where WARP is still way faster compared to default on Nvidia cards still exists... either that should be fixed or you should change the default to WARP when Nvidia cards are detected.

With the exception of Liquify feeling a bit snappier, I am having no luck with OpenCL right now (I use a 980 myself). For example, in Photo I am having significant lag and even freezes when working with a tablet specifically. I don't think my hardware is the issue here, since the brush lag with tablets is even noticeable on the smallest canvases you can create with the current library of presets. Something is most definitely wrong when what I could do in 1.8.5 and older versions of Affinity doesn't work as it should in the Beta.

Thanks for the bnew Beta. Installation was working well and the Software runs as expected.
But what is meaned with this?

Added a new Divide blend mode

I checked it out and i thought that this is an improvement of Function "Divide" in Boolean Operations. But the Test gave out the same bad Results than in other Versions.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

59 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Thanks for the bnew Beta. Installation was working well and the Software runs as expected.
But what is meaned with this?

Added a new Divide blend mode

I checked it out and i thought that this is an improvement of Function "Divide" in Boolean Operations. But the Test gave out the same bad Results than in other Versions.

Divide blend mode =/= Divide booleans. Check the Layers panel and change the layer blend mode from Normal to Divide. That is the feature that was added in the Beta.

27 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Divide blend mode =/= Divide booleans. Check the Layers panel and change the layer blend mode from Normal to Divide. That is the feature that was added in the Beta.

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation. I check it out in the evening.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

13 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Does this mean we'll be able to freely rotate the canvas now? I came across a post sometime ago mentioning that the lack of hardware acceleration was the reason we don't have it in Windows. I'm fairly sure it wasn't any of the developers saying it, but I guess asking about it here doesn't hurt. :D

These are unrelated things 🙂

7 hours ago, RPC said:

Check out the benchmark thread for info on what other people are getting. With regards to WARP, it should never be faster than hardware. Don't forget, the renderer is only for displaying the document to the screen, so it doesn't really do much work.

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Check out the benchmark thread for info on what other people are getting. With regards to WARP, it should never be faster than hardware. Don't forget, the renderer is only for displaying the document to the screen, so it doesn't really do much work.

Could you point me to some of these benchmarks because I can't find them, and on every single one of my Nvidia cards on windows 10 with uptodate drivers 16GB+ Ram CPUs i7 8700,  i7 7700, AMD 3600, and i7 2700k all the document rendering on screen is vastly faster when working with large complex files with WARP than default.

Using default I have to wait many seconds some times close to a minute for things to go from blurry to rendered well panning.

Whereas with WARP it's normally under a second to go from blurry to rendered well panning or at most two seconds.

11 minutes ago, RPC said:

Could you point me to some of these benchmarks because I can't find them, and on every single one of my Nvidia cards on windows 10 with uptodate drivers 16GB+ Ram CPUs i7 8700,  i7 7700, AMD 3600, and i7 2700k all the document rendering on screen is vastly faster when working with large complex files with WARP than default.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...