You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.733

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Added initial support for hardware acceleration (must be enabled in Preferences | Performance, "Enable OpenCL compute acceleration")
  • Added benchmark capability (Help | Benchmark)
  • Added Text on Path
  • Added more filter support for masks / adjustments / spare channels (Add Noise, Perlin Noise, etc.)
  • Added ability to edit a spare channel in the Channels panel to edit it like a layer (single click the channel)
  • Improved Blend modes to work on “alpha only” layers (masks, adjustments, live filters, etc.)
  • Added a new Divide blend mode
  • Added "Create from centre" for the Elliptical Marquee tool
  • Added ability to snap to the bounds of the pixel selection
  • Added ability to create brushes from the current pixel selection with one click

1.8.5.703 release notes

5 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

Windows 10 (Version 2004 - Build 19041.508)

Same OS. Works great.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi Mark,

it seems that I cannot get sufficient bandwidth to download from the AWS servers. Getting download speeds of less that 1Kb/S I have never experienced this issue with Affinity previously.

Is anyone else experiencing slow download speeds. Note my location is in Asia and I checked by downloading the current production release which took less than 15 seconds.

Regards Don

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

7 hours ago, AiDon said:

Hi Mark,

it seems that I cannot get sufficient bandwidth to download from the AWS servers. Getting download speeds of less that 1Kb/S I have never experienced this issue with Affinity previously.

Is anyone else experiencing slow download speeds. Note my location is in Asia and I checked by downloading the current production release which took less than 15 seconds.

Regards Don

Hi @AiDon, the retail versions are hosted on locations throughout the world to increase download speeds. The betas are hosted in the US, so may not be as quick, depending on the connection. Hopefully in the future we can improve the beta locations too, but for now, this is an issue between your ISP and Amazon in the US I guess.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Bruno Henrique said:

Did the studio presets arrive at 1.9?

Yes they are under internal testing at the moment, so only in Photo at the moment. If you want to try it and make a new thread on your findings, please do

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

42 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes they are under internal testing at the moment, so only in Photo at the moment. If you want to try it and make a new thread on your findings, please do

From the discussions that have already occurred in the Mac beta forums, I'd guess the implementation might be changing. However, I presume this important new feature should work the same on both Mac and Windows, so I wonder if it would be better to have one discussion including both the Windows and Mac users, rather than split discussions?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

They are independently programmed but clearly they should behave similarly. Apparently the windows one does behave in the adaptive way described in the photo Mac beta thread, but will be changed also.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks, Patrick. Separate discussions sounds reasonable then.

It is puzzling that they'd be separately programmed, though. I'd have thought there would be common code for a function like that, with just a bit of OS adaptation layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

I have tweaked my last post as the issue brought up in the Mac beta thread does exist in Windows and will be changing for both

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

NVIDIA, current supported GPUs, use OpenCL 1.2

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

WOW....
I made a Test with Raw Development and Open CL enabled and disabled.
With disabled Open CL it needs ~17 Seconds, with enabled Open CL only ~8 Seconds
Same Raw File, same editing in Develop Persona.
I´m very pleasantly surprised. My Graphic Card is a NVIDIA Geforce 1060 6GB with Studio Driver.
Very good Job and thank you very much. Thumbs Up👍

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Works very well here too, more or less half the time to Develop.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent increment. Well done, folks!

I'm planning on doing an InAffinity video on these and would appreciate a little more detail on these so I can demo them:

• Added more filter support for masks / adjustments / spare channels (Add Noise, Perlin Noise, etc.)
  • Improved Blend modes to work on “alpha only” layers (masks, adjustments, live filters, etc.)

Thanks.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 3 months later...

For the love of our Lord, could you consider adding this 3+ years old request? I am sure it's not much of a problem for you and having the option to NOT "zoom to fit window"  would immensely help people who work with small images on big screens every day. As a webdev I can assure you the zoom-to-fit-screen is a pain in the /\ss:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.