You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coloring Line Work in Sketches

So I am working in Affinity Photo, and I have this pen sketch of a clown that i really dig. I would like to recolor/paint ONLY the lines in the work. Not the background. I would also like to vary the coloring (i.e. hair green, nose and lips red, teeth yellow, etc.). As you can see the lines are rather intricate so it's very difficult to "select" them and when "filling" the lines it loses the sketch quality. I've tried locking the layer and using a transparent background. But when I paint them, it doesn't isolate the coloring to only the lines in either method.

How would I go about recoloring/painting just the specific lines in the sketch various colors and keep the sketch effect?

Please advise.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.04.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.08.57 PM.png

Welcome to the forums @Frank Nitkiewicz
I’ve attached a short video showing one quick (and fairly crude) way to do what I think you want to do.
To get a much better result you will need to do the ‘unmasking of the adjustments’ (with the Paint Brush) much more finely than I have done.
There may be other (better) workflows so keep checking back.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’ve attached a short video showing one quick (and fairly crude) way to do what I think you want to do.

If I may add to @GarryP's very good suggestion: you don't need to add a mask to an adjustment layer. The layer itself is a mask. This means you simply invert the adjustment layer by hitting CTRL+i. This turns the layer black. Then paint in with a white brush just as Garry shows in the video.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I keep forgetting about that. It’s a much quicker method.

Never mind, I kept forgetting about this in the beginning, too. But after a while I started to get used to it and think this is really one of the strong features of the Affinities.

My compliment for the quick video tutorial update!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil