You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.9.0.2)

13 hours ago, MattP said:

- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...

Perhaps it could be possible to select the same brush properties for vector objects, and/or the same appearance (all strokes and fills)?

Select all locked layers, or have the ability to exclude locked layers from the selection.

Perhaps add an ability to select only within a layer or group?

Is there a reason why Presets were not included in this release of Designer like we have in Photo Beta 1.9.0.196?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

7 hours ago, robinp said:

Finally. So pleased this has come and it is part of the 1.X version series. Looking forward to trying it out 

So am I! While I haven't yet tested it to comment on its implementation (seems the connection to the server is tenuous)—I'll be honest—I expected this to be held back until a new paid version.

• Staff

11 hours ago, Seneca said:

Is there a reason why Presets were not included in this release of Designer like we have in Photo Beta 1.9.0.196?

I think there's some work to do in this area, so it is removed for now - the reaction in the Photo Beta was that it should be implemented differently, so I thought it was best not to include it and have it as a distraction at this point :) 

@MattP - I'm so happy to see the 1.9 beta out for Designer. Ever since photo for ipad beta was released early, I check periodically for a Designer beta!   I use Designer day in and day out to design t-shirt designs and every added tool brings me closer to making Affinity my sole application set for my work.

Super impressive work on the select-same and contour tools. It's efficient, effective and professional and they do not get in the way of use.

I love the amount of real-time control I can have over the settings with the contour tool. I can make an inverse contour, change the corner styles, change the radius specifically by numerical input or visually with my cursor - so much better thought out and implemented than other vector apps I've used.

Select-same is great as well - I like the breakdown into two main sub-categories and then the numerous options for each. I don't know if it needs an "all text" selection option or not - I can see the benefit but also at what point do we have too many options to scroll through each time! lol

Glad to see the Divide boolean operation getting some love as well - that's a crucial part of my workflow.
Keep up the great work!

This is stunning news, @MattP - thank you for looking into this.

I'm eager to check the feature out in production version, since I'm so busy I sadly don't have time nor energy to test the betas. I would tend to start working with it on real projects and from my past experience - in the past I've found out, the file format changed so later I wasn't able to open beta files in production version (I obviously wasn't paying attention to your disclaimer warning users from such activities). I'm careful since.

But god bless you for adding this feature.

Since I can't test the functionality, I would like to add my suggestions:

1. The tool shouldn't care about what groups the objects are in, it should select all similar objects without selecting the whole group
  2. The tool shouldn't select objects from hidden groups (both hiding and locking the layers upfront would be too much ux hassle in my opinion, but hiding should be sufficient. Shame we don't have "Lock and hide" feature.
    I understand this design decision will be hard, but could be alternativelly solved by creating specific menu items like Select same fill [all layers] and Select same fill [omit hidden])... Decisions, decisions 😉
    This decision is a double-bladed sword obviously, since one could shot himself in the foot when unhiding those hidden layers later on, forgetting he hasn't changed their colours. (I know, I know, just mentioning a specific user-case).
  3. The tool should be able to select by other attributes, mainly same "vector brushes" applied to it, also gradient fills. With gradient fills, I'd be careful though, since one might have different angled ones in the design and most likely he'd like to change only the colours of the gradients, not their angles though (I know, I know...)
  4. Maybe it would be quite cool to be able select All Star Objects, All Heart objects etc?

Take care.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

The tool shouldn't care about what groups the objects are in, it should select all similar objects without selecting the whole group

It does that already.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

The tool shouldn't select objects from hidden groups

Currently it does select from hidden groups, locked groups and hidden locked groups.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

same "vector brushes" applied to it,

This doesn't seem to be available at present.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

gradient fills. With gradient fills, I'd be careful though, since one might have different angled ones in the design and most likely he'd like to change only the colours of the gradients, not their angles though

Select Same -> Fill Color does work on gradients, including those with different angles but otherwise matching.  If you "Reverse" one of the gradients (using the Reverse button on the gradient editor) it won't find it, but rotating it all the way around still allows it to be matched.

3 hours ago, CLC said:

Maybe it would be quite cool to be able select All Star Objects, All Heart objects etc?

Select Same -> Shape effectively does this.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, fde101 said:

The status bar when using this tool says that holding option while using it should clone the object but that doesn't seem to be happening - am I missing something?

I see the same thing.

Also, is there any way to revert a contoured shape to its original un-contoured form, or is this in effect a destructive process?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Select Same/Same Object is gonna come in handy thanks Matt!  Contour tool as well! Great job.

I think there should be some options for locked layers or maybe even other artboards to be exempt if desired from the selection. I think that would be the expected default behaviour, no?

Edited by retrograde

On 9/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, MattP said:

- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...

Awesome updates @MattP glad for all efforts.

I'm in love with the new Bake Appearance option on Contour tool,

after this tool, I'm sure that we are very closer to have a sort of MeshWarp Vector tool
to distort and change an object with many purposes, like a topology, for shaping and colouring! we can add nodes inside and color .image.png.210bd1f9c52e1bcd60a11e62aebee187.png 
these would be my favourite for sure.

we have already the warp tool Affinity Photo. 

Thanks once again

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

1 hour ago, Jhonatan S Silva said:

for shaping and colouring! we can add nodes inside and color

when you mention Mesh, two things come to mind:

• Mesh to distort vector shapes/text
  • Mesh to work with colors

The one in your screenshots refers to the second one, right?

Best regards!

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ha! I was talking about mesh warps with Ash yesterday! :) We'll see....

I am in high hopes that you have read and taken into account this topic, when referring to vector distortions. :)

Best regards!

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Ha! I was talking about mesh warps with Ash yesterday! :) We'll see....

AGGAGGAGGGAGGAGGGAAHHHHHHHHH ...... "we'll see" --- now I'm exited!?!?! 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.