You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.9.0.2)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Download

Auto-update: Not available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first build of Affinity Designer 1.9.0 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significantly different from the 1.8.4 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Many thanks!

Matt

Changes Since 1.9.0

- Contour tool.
- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...
- Improved performance with large documents. I will aim to improve this further over time.
- Added a new “Divide” blend mode.
- Allowed snapping to the bounds of the pixel selection.

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this beta notification thread 
To be notified when this update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Designer customers, please follow this release notification thread

Can't wait to test the contour tool (will absolutely be one of my new best friends!) and the select same (hope this can let us choose at least by fill and by stroke (shape too?)) Just out of curiosity would be nice if you give us the minimum/normal bechmarks that should be expected from the software to run flawlessly. Thank you!

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Herojas93 said:

"Select same" for me will be the best...

Please introduce select "all text objects", even if them are grouped or blocked.

That will increase the workflow for me when I have to convert text in curves.

Thanks, great job!!!

You can *nearly* do this already - I split out text objects into the main types: Art Text, Frame Text, Path Text, so you currently have to choose which type of text you'd like to select, but it does as you'd expect - traverses the whole document and selects those objects wherever they are, whether they're locked or not

Do you need the 'all' text option still?

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

You can *nearly* do this already - I split out text objects into the main types: Art Text, Frame Text, Path Text, so you currently have to choose which type of text you'd like to select, but it does as you'd expect - traverses the whole document and selects those objects wherever they are, whether they're locked or not

Do you need the 'all' text option still?

It would be nice for me the "all" option. I use mainly Designer to do user manuals with several pages. So when I send them to print and to avoid problems with fonts, I used the option in Illustrator "select all text objects", them convert them to curves. Just in 2 clicks I done everything. Doesn't matter the type of text or format.

Also is very nice to have the selective option for text to be more accurate.

12 minutes ago, Herojas93 said:

So when I send them to print and to avoid problems with fonts, I used the option in Illustrator "select all text objects", them convert them to curves.

PDF-Export -> Export Settings -> Pulldown Embed fonts: Text as Curves should work as well.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Select same ----ACE------ potentially save hours - can't seem to find the contour tool?

BRILLIANT WORK!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

can't seem to find the contour tool?

Just found it - looks like you have to go to: view - customise tools to enable 

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 17.13.13.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

26 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I can't find documentation about the new Contour tool in the help files

Serif doesn't often document the new features until closer to a stable release as they have a tendency to change quite a bit during the betas and too much of it would be wasted effort if done too soon.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Contour tool.

The status bar when using this tool says that holding option while using it should clone the object but that doesn't seem to be happening - am I missing something?

Any chance of the contour getting an independent stroke from the main object?  Currently the stroke moves to the contour, which is appropriate, but would be nice to have the option of applying a stroke in two places as a result of this tool...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.