You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On "book" and "booklet" print modes

While I have several tools which can do signature imposition, today I took a look to see if Affinity Publisher can do it, to avoid a post-export step.  Apparently the print mode "booklet" does signature imposition, although there does not seem to be any way to tell it how many sheets are supposed to be in one signature (an absolutely critical number for signature-based binding, like sewing).  Rather, it treats all the pages in the document as belonging to one however-many-sheets-are-required signature.  Nor does it seem able to manage anything more than a single fold (four pages per sheet total, front and back, each face divided by the fold into two pages) of the sheet.  Commercial offset printing pretty much starts at four folds (sixteen pages per sheet total, front and back, each face divided by the folds into eight pages).  However, for a self-described "booklet" mode, these restrictions seem reasonable.

"Book" mode is useful for perfect binding, but much less so for signature-based binding.  It treats each set of four consecutive pages as a single-sheet signature.  So you would fold each sheet separately, then glue them together at the spine.

I wrote this because the documentation for these features is something less than complete.  In fact, "book" mode is not even mentioned on the Publishing and Sharing > Print help page where the print dialog clearly displays that option.

The inability to control the number of signatures for Book mode has come up before in other threads.

For both modes the page count of the document must be a multiple of four.  That makes sense logically, but what might not be obvious is that the program doesn't simply append blank pages during the printing process to fill in to that multiple...

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

As nothing has been said (that I know of) probably best to assume it won't come in the near future.  Book mode prints single-sheet signatures, booklet mode attempts to print the entire project in one thick booklet (not practical at 200 pages).

If you are on the Mac, printing the project yourself, and need signatures of more than one sheet, try something like Create Booklet 2 (mentioned recently in another recent thread and I concur as I have that in my toolbox as well); I would imagine that similar products are available on the other platform but have not looked for them.

If you are sending this to be printed professionally by a print shop, generally best to let them deal with the imposition.

• 1 year later...

I want to be able to print an entire book in groups of 2, 3 or more signatures. Each group would be made up of a certain number of signatures.

Each group would be like a booklet (composed of several signatures) that, sewn together, would form the binding of the book.

I know that this option as I describe it, does not exist in Publisher.

I can print a book but this only generates groups of a single signature. In some cases this is appropriate.

If I choose the Booklet option, it prints the entire document as a booklet.

If within the printing option of a Booklet I choose a range of pages, it prints that range of pages but taking the entire document as a reference.

It would be interesting if there was a button that would allow to consider that range of selected pages as an independent booklet and print them as a booklet…. group those various booklets, stitch them together and form a complete book.

Currently, to achieve the same goal I have to create a second document where I insert the range of pages of the original document that I want to print as a booklet.

A much more tedious process.