You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Cannot save adjustment layers as preset??

Hi,

There seems no button or option to save a group of adjustment layers as preset. Is this correct?

I do not want to open an old file using the layers all the time and copy them into the new image.

Thank you.

Jeff

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

You can save a group of adjustment layers as an asset, the fun starts when you want to use it in a new image

Add the group from the assets panel to the new image

Ungroup the layers

Toggle background layer on and off

GroupAdjustments.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thank you for the tip. But how to add the group of adjustment layers to the assets, neither drag&drop nor "adding from selection" works 😕

EDIT + SOLVED:

You need to show the assets as "list", otherwise you won't see the group added via  "adding from selection".

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

To add to the discussion here. The Assets gallery functionality does not seem to be something that was intended to be used with adjustment layers. It does seem to work with single layers from some adjustments for example if I use a single curves layer I can drag it out onto my image and it works fine. For most of the other adjustments however it just makes the entire image go black or it does nothing at all. I've been editing a lot of renders in the ACES color space and I use the same two adjustment layers to convert the image back to sRGB in order to export a final PNG (Image attached). OCIO and or the LUT adjustment layers do not work with the Assets system. If I try to apply them from the Assets panel individually they make the image go black and if I try to add them to the Assets panel as a group they have no affect on the image once added.

I get that this feature was added as a way to support interface designers by providing a repository for their most used UI elements, but it would be great if it could be extended to fully support adjustment layers as well.

Finally, even if this was only intended as a system for pixel or vector layer elements, it's still confusing and seems more like a bug than intended functionality that you have to select 'Show As List' from the parent submenu in order to see any assets that have been added. Additionally the fact that you can't drag and drop layers onto this list is also confusing.

Maybe I'm missing something and there's a system that's intended to be used to save adjustment layer sets, if so I'd love to learn where that is and or how to use it.

Edit: I figured out how to add the adjustment layers individually as presets which helps, but it would be great to be able to save out stacks / groups of adjustment layers that could be added as an entire group.

Best / Travis

AP_asset_adjustment.png

50 minutes ago, travisrogers said:

Maybe I'm missing something and there's a system that's intended to be used to save adjustment layer sets, if so I'd love to learn where that is and or how to use it.

One way is to create a LUT from the adjustments, but this only works for all the unmerged adjustment layers that you have, as far as I know.

1. Make the adjustments.
  2. When you're happy, File > Export LUT...
  3. Load the LUT later as part of a new LUT Adjustment, or add it to the LUT Adjustment Presets.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, travisrogers said:

I figured out how to add the adjustment layers individually as presets which helps, but it would be great to be able to save out stacks / groups of adjustment layers that could be added as an entire group.

A simple macro could do that

1. Create your group of adjustments

2. Start macro recording

3. Select the group layer and Edit > Copy (nothing is recorded in macro screen, this is normal)

4. Edit > Paste

5. Stop and save macro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.