You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save History Preference

It would be great to have a Preference setting to enable "Saving History with Document" as a default when creating new documents. Alternatively, it could be added as a checkbox in the New Document window as well, in case the user doesn't want it as an App default, but would like to enable it on a per-document basis.

Thanks for your consideration.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Save As… panel? Hmm... what would happen if I've created a New document and worked on it for hours, but haven't checked the File > Save History with Document check box? 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Well, sometimes I start working on a document and get pulled away before saving it... But yeah, I like living on the edge  :ph34r: 

ronnyb !

Are you saying that you do not perform a Save As pretty much the moment that you have started a new document!?!  Oh my!

I suppose some folk like to take risks and live on the edge...

Save As… panel? Hmm... what would happen if I've created a New document and worked on it for hours, but haven't checked the File > Save History with Document check box? 

Then it wouldn't ever be saved (*). A document created with File > New has no filename. In order to save it, you have to give it a name with the Save As panel (and that panel will appear even if you use File > Save), and then you'd have the option to set whether that document should have history for this and future saves.

----

(*) Apart from Autosave, which always includes history.

Interesting. I still think it would be great to have an App-wide preference to ALWAYS save History, so that user's don't have to worry about remembering to select any check boxes each and every time we save files and could set the app to behave as we want it to...

Then it wouldn't ever be saved (*). A document created with File > New has no filename. In order to save it, you have to give it a name with the Save As panel (and that panel will appear even if you use File > Save), and then you'd have the option to set whether that document should have history for this and future saves.

----

(*) Apart from Autosave, which always includes history.

• 4 months later...