You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with curves layer adjustment

Mike Webb

1 hour ago, Mike Webb said:

It's possible that it's related to the use of Nik filters but I'm not certain.

@Mike Webb

Mike, for the image in your first post, what Nik plugin was involved.
I have Nik Collection 3 here I can try.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

@Mike Webb

With selections seems to be a bit hit and miss as to whether the curves histogram is shown here too, as can be seen from the two screen shots.

Edit: Also just noticed, the curves mask icon in the second screen shot doesn't appear to be showing the selection.

Selection 1.jpg

Selection 2.jpg

17 hours ago, Mike Webb said:

So not just me and a mildly frustrating bug?

I think it is a bug, but I actually don't see much if any benefit of the present histogram in the tone curve display.  I refer to the main histogram when using curves.. 

The histogram in the curves pane doesn't change to reflect any changes made to the tone curve itself. (I seem to remember something about that being by design, but I really don't understand why that should be) and it doesn't appear to represent the condition within a selection like the one in PhotoPlusX8 did. 

I think there have also been issues raised in the past as to why it isn't in color in the Windows version, and why it can be really slow to appear (when it does appear).

Maybe someone could explain to me exactly what it's purpose is meant to be.

@Gabe

Hi Gabe,

OK,  with no selections, can you tell me what the purpose is of having the histogram in the curves pane, when it doesn't respond to changes made to the tone curves?.

@Mike Webb

In retrospect, my post missed the point. My problem or lack of understanding stems from the way I used the histograms in the old Serif PhotoPlus series.

For an RGB Image in photo persona, my understanding is that the histogram in the curves pane simply shows a static mono display representing the combined RGB spread from shadows through mid tones to highlights,  rather than it showing lightness. In the old Serif PhotoPlus series the static histogram  in the curves pane closely matched the main histogram when that was set to display combined RGB,  so to me the main histogram was able to provide the same starting point information as the static histogram in the curves pane, but also showed live the result of changes to the curves. So for me, the static histogram in the curves pane was sort of superfluous.

In Affinity Photo, the main histogram isn't able to be set to show a single display of the combined RGB spread, or to show lightness as was possible in PhotoPlus. As I understand it the lighter blue only shows the overlap between R, G and B) and so I can't see the result of changes to the curves in the main histogram in the same way as I could in PhotoPlus.

A video might be stretching it

What I do is;

use SilkyPix to create a TIFF from Fuji RAW - so I that is irrelevant

Open TIFF in Affinity

Duplicate the Base layer

Then I might do some cloning to remove items which I have done in this example

Select using select brush

Use New Adjustment Layer

Select Curves

And get this

image.thumb.png.af52348786d622768e244956c39d195d.png

It won't always happen like that. Sometimes it works just fine.

No Nik or any filters on this one.

If I delete the above layer, deselect and then choose curves for the whole image I get this

image.thumb.png.26fcd91383c36a921b91cdd3c027c2f8.png

No sniggering but I'd then use the curve in relation to the histogram to start my fiddling to get what I want like this maybe

image.png.1e6960712dc8c9479edf9b847aead694.png

Hopefully I'm doing something stupid.

Mike