You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

These two TIFFs are different somehow (also rotation question)

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

In Photoshop there is a specific layer command "Flatten Image" that guarantees that an image is flattened but e.g. using the "Rasterize" layer command of Photo does not do the same

There is Flatten Image also in AP... 

I tried to compare images both in PS and AP and could not find any difference in file structure (layers/channels).

Oh true, original has it. I managed to lose transparency in Crop/Straighten operation. Original file shows transparency in a corner, it is probably a leftover from straighten operation.

Seems flatten image does not remove transparency, it just combines layers. Additional Transparent Background off removes all layerishness.

Thanks, all! I see what you mean by the lower left. I assumed that would be no issue. 

I do have more PS experience but it’s from years ago. I don’t know how much has changed in relation to layers. I do recall using Flatten Image a lot. I’m really curious about simply cropping 0002 to see what happens. That would be a very simple solution to all of this. 

I haven’t been as precise on these images obviously. 

One thing I am curious about is how I’ve not had any issues with other images I’ve _saved_ as opposed to exported. Having said that, I’ve done a lot more rotating and cropping and scanning items 2-up which necessitated more rotating and cropping and exporting. 

I have wondered if saving or exporting do two different things with regard to transparency layers. 

Thanks all!!!

14 hours ago, h_d said:

And no I don't understand why GC says it's RGB... Wonder what IA thinks?

I have found that Affinity Photo will often convert my scanned images (tiffs) to RGB, even though I scan them as greyscale or even black and white. It is something to do with applying an automatic profile.

Have I missed anyone mentioning this? You can straighten a document by:

1. Select the Crop tool.
  2. On the Context Toolbar, select Straighten.
  3. Click on the beginning of a line that should be horizontal.
  4. Click on the end of the horizontal line.
  5. Complete any  remaining crop actions.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

14 hours ago, h_d said:

I have found that Affinity Photo will often convert my scanned images (tiffs) to RGB, even though I scan them as greyscale or even black and white. It is something to do with applying an automatic profile.

1. Select the Crop tool.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

14 hours ago, h_d said:

1. Select the Crop tool.

John

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I worked in commercial printing for about a decade. This is the kind of thing that could be a big problem, but for me I don't really care. 🙂

However, I notice that when I open a file that was scanned grayscale, AP applies a grayscale profile. I may be scanning some later and I can check it out and report back.

1. Select the Crop tool.

No, you didn't miss it; I didn't know it existed! I'll try it.

I think the first thing I'm going to try is to just remove that sliver of transparency and see what IA does with that. [EDIT: It didn't work. 😞]

It's strange that I've not had this issue before in that I have scanned many things grayscale. The difference here, though, is I've been rotating and cropping. So... maybe I need to export with white matte every time I do that? I don't care; I just want to do what's going to work! 🙂

Is there some kind of fundamental difference between rotate and crop vs. transform and crop as it pertains to layers?

8 minutes ago, thecompu said:

No, you didn't miss it; I didn't know it existed! I'll try it.

I think the first thing I'm going to try is to just remove that sliver of transparency and see what IA does with that.

Straighten tool in Crop tool is really useful. It does not though offer automatic crop to remove transparent corners, and there is no Trim command either like in PS. Manual cropping it is.

I think you need to set Document > Transparent Background to off. You should be able to just save over the original document as long as you have not inserted any non-destructive elements/layers.

12 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Straighten tool in Crop tool is really useful. It does not though offer automatic crop to remove transparent corners, and there is no Trim command either like in PS. Manual cropping it is.

I think you need to set Document > Transparent Background to off. You should be able to just save over the original document as long as you have not inserted any non-destructive elements/layers.

Okay, I'll try that straighten.

I am creating one with transparent background off. I'll see what that does. Uploading to IA now. Takes a little but to go through derive which creates the previews.

[EDIT: Yes, that worked. That's the easiest option by far.]