You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ Resolved ] Refine Mask doesn't show adjustment layer adjustment?

See screencapture

I'm working on a landscape with a badly under exposed foreground. Supplied as a jpeg... ( oh-yes, they don't have a raw one )

I've got an adjustment layer (levels) and have created its mask on the adjustment layer itself (as in: I've not manually added a mask).

I'm attempting to refine the mask that's on the adjustment layer. (Menu: Layers > Refine Mask)

The Refine Selection dialogue box does not appear to show the current state of the levels adjustment, it shows the original as though there is no adjustment applied.

refine.jpg.f87930c3d66f6e7899b0b922e1a7e3a2.jpg

Yes, it's an utterly awful photo, but "needs must, please-please help" pleaded the client. I know I could have done something acceptable in Photoshop by now (done, dusted)... but I'm trying to move to and master Affinity Photo.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Should work if you nest the adjustment layer inside the image layer before you go into the Refine dialog:

32499529_Screenshot2020-09-11at17_22_05.png.3cc572072f1f597cb1717b7bcc281b70.png

(Original - curves adjustment nested but hidden)

1007915534_Screenshot2020-09-11at17_22_12.png.0d72cf55240ace1ca3580398f8782cbd.png

(Curves adjustment applied)

Screenshot_2020-09-11_at_17_21_32.png.90b80b11b7ef7b1a24e6db1b630b7a80.png

(With Refine Selection dialog active though not visible in screen grab)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thank you @h_d. That does indeed work.

I suspect the logic is that when it's not nested it will be treated in isolation...

Thanks again for taking the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
19 hours ago, Chita said:

Why is not possible refine mask if is "standalone" ?

Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain what you mean by this - could you possibly provide a screenshot or screen recording showing what you're trying to achieve?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello,

desctription is above in thread - I i have some 3D render with material ID for better selection.

I use magic wand for selection and create new adjustment layer (do not use refine selection) - mask looks like in picture.

I click right now on adjustment layer then i have no choice for refine it - i must drag the adjustmen layer in to picture below. And my question is why? Why i have no refine choice direct for adjustment layer without draging?

And the second point - why is not possible to use FX effect for adjustmen layer mask? Respectively - is possible, but not working...

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Edited by Chita

• Staff
32 minutes ago, Chita said:

I click right now on adjustment layer then i have no choice for refine it - i must drag the adjustmen layer in to picture below. And my question is why? Why i have no refine choice direct for adjustment layer without draging?

When using the 'Refine' option, the Affinity app looks for an image/pixel layer to be a parent of the mask/adjustment to use for this feature.

This is due to the way the Refine option works. The Affinity app will 'read' the image/pixel layer when entering the Refine Selection mode, then it uses this information to help detect edges when brushing your selection.

Without this image/pixel layer, the app has nothing to 'refine' the selection to - hence this layer is needed before you can use this option.

This is only the case for pre-existing masks/adjustments, as you can draw and refine a pixel selection in an empty document, but once that selection has been saved to a mask you will require a pixel layer to further refine that selection.

As a workaround, you can CTRL/CMD + Click on the thumbnail of any mask/adjustment layer to create a new selection based on this layers mask, which you can then refine as you wish.

32 minutes ago, Chita said:

And the second point - why is not possible to use FX effect for adjustmen layer mask? Respectively - is possible, but not working...

The FX options are not designed for use on Mask or Adjustment layers - what FX are you trying to apply, and to which layer please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C, thank you for your quick reply and clarification. 

My question are based on Photoshop (CS5) experience - there are all of my question standard - refine mask without "paring with pixel layer" and FX effects for all type of masks...

I use it with making shadows or glows by render postrocesing combinate with layer overlay. For example "window in interior" - i need make it brighter and glow around => In PS i create slection (trough ID colore), create new adjustment Levels layer (automaticly created with mask) and now i can edit bright trough Levels an apply FX with glow - thats all in one layer without further steps.

Edited by Chita