You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to remove noto fonts (split)

On 10/19/2017 at 1:32 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next iPad & Mac release.

I am still three years later seeing dozens and dozens of Noto fonts appearing as soon as I install Affinity Designer on a new Mac.

They are locked by the system and cannot be deleted (without, as described, me creating a new partition and installing a new instance of MacOS — please let's agree that that's quite a cumbersome, time-consuming and overly complicated thing to have to do to get rid of fonts that were installed against my will...)

Please advise!

image.thumb.png.c3756470917012f0a4e55d04a8f29e58.png

• Staff
On 9/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, expressoaddict said:

I am still three years later seeing dozens and dozens of Noto fonts appearing as soon as I install Affinity Designer on a new Mac.

They are locked by the system and cannot be deleted (without, as described, me creating a new partition and installing a new instance of MacOS — please let's agree that that's quite a cumbersome, time-consuming and overly complicated thing to have to do to get rid of fonts that were installed against my will...)

Please advise!

Hi expressoaddict,

These are not fonts that install or ship with Affinity. They are fonts that were added by Apple in Catalina and have been annoying many other users, not just our software but both Adobe's and Microsoft's. I would suggest contacting Apple about the issue.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251376147

• 2 months later...

Sorry just ran into this problem in my computer. 

Installed a fresh copy of MacOs Big Sur and noticed all these Noto Sans Fonts...

I didn't; have this problem under Mojave ...  So didn't know this was an issue...

I checked the thread mentioned but found no solution...

Does anybody have a fix or suggestion for this?

P.D. I see there are other threads about this in the iPad forum. Which was marked as solved by an Affinity patch.  But it looks like this issue is again  appearing (at least in the Desktop Version)

Thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Only way that I've ever found on OSX anyway to de-activate most (not all unfortunately) of these fonts is by using a 3rd party app called RightFont.

As above though I've found there are around 5 or 6 that you just can't delete or de-activate or do anything with. These I believe are used for language support in the system. Would be nice if there was a way to turn that off but have never found anything to that end unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 1:08 AM, markbowen said:

Only way that I've ever found on OSX anyway to de-activate most (not all unfortunately) of these fonts is by using a 3rd party app called RightFont.

As above though I've found there are around 5 or 6 that you just can't delete or de-activate or do anything with. These I believe are used for language support in the system. Would be nice if there was a way to turn that off but have never found anything to that end unfortunately.

Typeface can do it too. Good to have options. 

You can deactivate them in Typeface, but you’ll have to import them manually, takes seconds. 

1. Open Typeface
2. Choose File > Import…
3. Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental
4. Import the ’Supplemental’ folder

That folder contains optional system fonts, which can be deactivated by Typeface. It includes the ‘document support’ Noto fonts.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, Rob Luxford said:

You can deactivate them in Typeface

Well, they seem to have disappeared completely in Typeface (don't even show up with a de-activated status) but I don't care. Looks like one of the biggest annoyances was solved. Thanks for the hint!

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

On 8/11/2021 at 5:32 PM, MaasSoCal said:

Here's another option - Font Menu Cleaner https://fontmenucleaner.com 

I'd come across a reference to Font Menu Cleaner recently, but hadn't pursued it at the time.  Thanks to your recommendation here I decided to grab it and have just spent a happy half hour disabling many foreign-only fonts - including about eight hundred from the notorious Noto family.  Excellent!  Thanks, @MaasSoCal, for giving me the nudge I required.

For anyone else wondering about this particular utility's heritage, it comes from the same developer ("Etresoft") that produces the popular EtreCheck troubleshooting utility.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Really? I have to buy an app to get rid of what I don´t want mainly because devs don´t use Apple´s own font API? You won´t find NotoSans and all these foreign/oriental typefaces on a western system in Applejuicefactory´s own apps. Wonder why? Driving me nuts.

Edit:

Okay - I've had to listen to a lot of talking.  And, wonder of wonders, the developers are lazy and to blame for not using Apple's font APIs. Technically, these fonts are already disabled. Ok. I have now simply but painfully created favorites lists and done. So solved and forget about it.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 minute ago, ashf said:

font manager longer works on Ventura.
https://typefaceapp.com/help/tips/removing-noto-fonts

Longer or no longer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well - "… that's what happens when you create your own font management instead of the one provided by macOS." That was the answer of an Apple evangelist in their support forums. While some applications that follow their guidelines only show a total of 5 Noto fonts due to the support of multiple languages, these fonts don't show up at all in Apple's own apps because of the language settings in System-Preferences.

image.png.236afea744be72ceaeb79f7ff1f36ae8.png

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

While some applications that follow their guidelines only show a total of 5 Noto fonts due to the support of multiple languages, these fonts don't show up at all in Apple's own apps because of the language settings in System-Preferences.

What version of the macOS has a System Preferences  setting like you show? I'm running Catalina & I do not see anything like that in System Preferences>Languages & Regions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

Sorry for the confusion - I cropped that snap a bit too tight; it's actually the font menu of Pixelmator Pro as a reference how the Noto madness got tamed when using/implement macOS features.

Any idea exactly what macOS feature(s) can 'tame' the listing of so many Noto fonts in Affinity apps?

Affinity Photo