You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.4 - Text Flow Issues, wrong point size

nwhit

Not sure if this is the same as a couple other threads that report similar issues, but I can't seem to work around this issue. In 1.8.4  when I try to flow text to a new frame, the font size jumps significantly FOR THE REMAINING PART OF THE PARAGRAPH THAT FLOWS TO THE NEXT FRAME. I've tried using the loaded cursor (from the flow icon) to drag out the new text frame, tried creating a new, blank frame, and either way, the first few lines of the overlapping paragrpah have the wrong font size (Text Style was applied to the paragraph).

And, no, I did not stretch the text frame using the "scale" handle. I dragged out a new text frame, either from scratch/new or  with the loaded flow cursor. 

I can upload the file with embedded assets with a private link. I don't recall having this issue in previous versions. I also have read that there is a reported bug if the text frame has been scaled with the bottom-right extended scaling handle, but I didn't do that in this case. Has made it very difficult to edit and finish the last couple of these docs where this problem cropped up. Has required creating a line break and then changing the incorrect font sized lines. Thanks.

Screen_Shot_2020-09-10_at_1_37.15_PM.jpg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Note that if you had used the scaling handle, you might have done so for the first frame, or the second one. Using it on either would cause similar issues.

But if you did not use the scaling handle on either, then you may be experiencing a bug.

Where did the text come from for your Publisher document? There is a known problem with importing IDML files that can cause that, though I don't know any more details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I read the thread on the IDML import, but this was a created from scratch back a couple versions. Text was a copy/paste (unformatted) from a text document for other media, but each paragraph copied/pasted from various other text sources (web, html email versions, etc.), but as normal for much of our past work, all brought in as plain text (unformatted) and into paragraphs setup with Styles. Unlike in past versions, the formatting/font size stays correct if the text flows within the same frame. But as soon as you flow it to a new frame, the remainder of the interrupted paragraph in the new frame is the wrong size. The following paragraphs remain correct within the new frame. And, you are correct. The original frame was not scaled.

I did find one workaround, but it is not a workable solution. If I copy the initial text frame with the entire text, paste it on the new or same page, delete the text within that pasted frame, then flow from the original into this now blank frame, things work. Very strange. 

And the odd thing that suggests a bug is that when you roll-up the original text frame, thus pushing more text into the new linked frame, the text that moves into the new frame is likewise enlarged/wrong size. The "split" paragraph simply can't make it across the link without changing font size in the new text frame for the balance of the split paragraph. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

I moved the main text frame off the page, created a new text frame on the main page, then copied and pasted all the text from the single, old, stretched text frame. Once pasted into the new text frame on page 1, I could then click and flow to a new frame on page 2 without the issue. Apparently at some point the original main text frame became corrupted, thus not allowing a flow to a new frame. Not sure when or how that happened since I have been using this "template" for a while now without that issue. And for 2+-column main text frames, never use the scale handle.

But in the end, now can say it's fixed. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022