You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot get Artistic text tool to work over text frame

Hello. If I can explain what I am doing here: I am making a book with images. I use the frame text tool to fill each page with text. Then I insert an image, in this case in white space created by pushing forward the text with the return key. I want to insert a caption next to the image, using the artistic text  tool, but it does not work. Does the ATT work on top of the frame text tool? There must me a way to insert captions for images? Any advice to get me going is appreciated. Thanks. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Borzo. :)

If you’re using Affinity Publisher you can apply a wrap setting to the image to dictate how to text flows around it when you position the image on top of a text frame. In Designer or Photo it’s probably simplest to put the ‘before’ and ‘after’ text in separate frames and group them to keep them together if you subsequently move them.

I don’t see any advantage in using Artistic Text for captions: you’re just opening up the possibility of accidental distortion of the text. Put the caption in a text frame and (as above) group it with the image to keep the two related objects together.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

My advice - don't push text forward with the return key. Instead, set text wraps on the images, with enough distance below the image to allow room for the caption.

Create the captions using ordinary text frames (not Artistic Text). Set the caption frames to Ignore Text Wraps.

An example of text wrap settings for an image (Square, Both Sides, all distances set to 0 except for the bottom, which is set to 8mm:

1520605536_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_14_39.thumb.png.4ef82ab1058ce30e1ee64cb5ea7a118b.png

An example of the Text Frame settings for the caption frame (Ignore Text Wraps is checked):

398258011_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_15_03.thumb.png.9bbb4e6d071a5fa481078f1fb2be0bb2.png

You can use Artistic Text frames for this and they will automatically Ignore Text Wraps. But they will also go all wibbly if you adjust the shapes of the frames:

81793528_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_20_45.png.145b21cc44c010c60cf07bfeb448b6c6.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

20 minutes ago, h_d said:

My advice - don't push text forward with the return key. Instead, set text wraps on the images, with enough distance below the image to allow room for the caption.

Create the captions using ordinary text frames (not Artistic Text). Set the caption frames to Ignore Text Wraps.

An example of text wrap settings for an image (Square, Both Sides, all distances set to 0 except for the bottom, which is set to 8mm:

1520605536_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_14_39.thumb.png.4ef82ab1058ce30e1ee64cb5ea7a118b.png

An example of the Text Frame settings for the caption frame (Ignore Text Wraps is checked):

398258011_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_15_03.thumb.png.9bbb4e6d071a5fa481078f1fb2be0bb2.png

You can use Artistic Text frames for this and they will automatically Ignore Text Wraps. But they will also go all wibbly if you adjust the shapes of the frames:

81793528_Screenshot2020-09-10at18_20_45.png.145b21cc44c010c60cf07bfeb448b6c6.png

Thanks h_d - I m going to take a bit of time to work through your suggestion. I have tried using text wraps so the text is pushed above and below the image, and then tried to insert a text box and no go. I think you are suggesting something a little different so I will run through it and see where I get to. because I have pages of text with the occasional picture I think as suggested by Fixx I need to create a clean page part, so I've created text boxes top and bottom of the page (so 2 of them) and dropped the image in the clean space. 

28 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Also, sounds like OP has a problem in inserting text frame over existing text frame. It indeed does not work as text tool goes to insert text mode as soon as it is over existing text frame. Thus text frame must be drawn over a clean page part; or copy-pasted from clipboard.

Thanks as I noted above I worked around it by splitting the page into 2 text boxes. It's working for now! Thanks all for your input 

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, JUDD said:

Hello Can you explain how to use text wrap in Designer and Photo. The option only seems available in Publisher in the Text menu.  I am using Designer  and  trying to run text around objects in a photo.

It is a Publisher-only function, not available via the user interface provided by Designer or Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

33 minutes ago, JUDD said:

Was just wondering if there was a way of using it when working in Designer with text. Apparently not then?

No, if you need that kind of complex text support you need Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4