You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please help! Everything was fine yesterday but this morning none of my Affinity apps would launch initially. Eventually, after a lot of bouncing in the dock, Photo and Designer did launch and are running fine, but Publisher still won't launch. Mac OS X 10.15.6.

Update – it finally launched after about 6 attempts and lots of bombing! I hope this doesn't happen again. Is it anything to do with the fact that the other two were purchased through the App Store but Publisher was bought on the Affinity site?

Edited by rudegoose
Updated information

• Staff

There is no issue in mixing the versions from different stores if you get the same issue again you can reset your Publisher back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. 

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue, but mine has never opened. I have Designer and Photo on my Mac, purchased through the App Store. Today I purchased Publisher- it downloaded and installed seemingly without a hitch. When I click it to launch, it bounces once, then nothing. I've reinstalled twice, rebooted, fixed permissions and verified disk. Still, bounce once and nothing.  Photo and Designer are still fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here, on a Mac running 10.15.6. Publisher used to work, now it doesn't. It seems to launch--I see it in the side bar--but there's no menu, no way to open anything. WTF? Can we get some kind of advice from Affinity for this? I can't reset it because I can't see it. 

I sure would like to get some work done today. I don't have time for this. 

Glenn Cheney

Hanover, Conn. USA

4 minutes ago, glenncheney said:

I can't reset it because I can't see it.

You can reset the desktop version of any Affinity app via the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog that should appear if you press the Ctrl key and keep it held down while you launch the app. Leave the default (top three) checkboxes checked and press ‘Clear’; if that still doesn’t make it display in a usable state, try again but press ‘Select All’ before you press ‘Clear’.

Please note that choosing the ‘Select All’ option for clearing your user data will result in the loss of any brushes, macros or other custom data that you haven’t backed up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, Alfred said:

You can reset the desktop version of any Affinity app via the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog that should appear if you press the Ctrl key and keep it held down while you launch the app. Leave the default (top three) checkboxes checked and press ‘Clear’; if that still doesn’t make it display in a usable state, try again but press ‘Select All’ before you press ‘Clear’.

Please note that choosing the ‘Select All’ option for clearing your user data will result in the loss of any brushes, macros or other custom data that you haven’t backed up.

Thank you so much! It happened to me again and this worked.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, bobkinnison said:

I keep seeing the "hold down the ctrl key" "fix," but I've tried that as well and NOTHING happens....nothing pops up.  Nothing.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @bobkinnison. :)

I have the Windows version of Affinity Publisher, but I believe that if you’re on a Mac the reset option will only be offered when you open the app via Launchpad.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 hours ago, bobkinnison said:

I keep seeing the "hold down the ctrl key" "fix," but I've tried that as well and NOTHING happens....nothing pops up.  Nothing.

If you are on Mac hold the control key down and continue to hold it down all the way through the startup and start the app by double clicking its icon in the Finder or if you have it in the dock just click on the icon in the dock. Remember to  keep holding the control key down from before you start until you see the Clear User Data screen.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all!

I was working with the Publisher smoothly since last week, but ever since has stopped working at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app 3 times, but without any positive result. It keeps appearing a message that the "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ SerifEuropeLtd.Publisher_10805.703.0.0x64......\Publisher.exe" the parameter is incorrect.

Please help!

On 1/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, NickDimos said:

Hello to all!

I was working with the Publisher smoothly since last week, but ever since has stopped working at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app 3 times, but without any positive result. It keeps appearing a message that the "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ SerifEuropeLtd.Publisher_10805.703.0.0x64......\Publisher.exe" the parameter is incorrect.

Please help!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're still having this problem I think you should create your own topic, to ensure that it gets a proper tracking ticket in Serif's problem tracking system.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're still having this problem I think you should create your own topic, to ensure that it gets a proper tracking ticket in Serif's problem tracking system.

Thanks. will do so. regards

• 7 months later...

I'm on windows 10 and as of today my Publisher also stopped working. It doesn't launch at all. Not happy - need urgent work to be completed.

The CTRL key fix for MAC clearly doesn't work on Windows. I'm starting to regret having dumped my Adobe subscription and having bought Affinity products instead.

Can anyone help urgently????

8 hours ago, Marstoo said:

The CTRL key fix for MAC clearly doesn't work on Windows.

Yes, it does. However, you may need to watch for the application icon to show up on the Windows taskbar, and click it there, before you'll get the dialog. Keep Ctrl pressed until you get the dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1