I have some old VenturePublisher documents: I need them - but I don´t know how to open. Google couldn´t help me.... There are still some old DOS versions to download... but I use Apple. Has anybody an idea?

Thanks a lot

Maybe someone in this forum can convert them to PDF. I do not have Ventura installed anymore in my win machine (maybe my old win box has is still). But I think some users here still have Ventura in active use.

As far as I know there is no way to open Ventura files direct with a mac.

Check this:

https://winworldpc.com/product/ventura-publisher/3x-for-macintosh

I have no idea if these old apps are actually "open source" and whether it is even legal to distribute these apps. Also, I do not know whether Mac and Windows documents were binary compatible. I had Ventura DOS versions, and still have on CD Corel Ventura 4.2, and could just out of interest take a tour in the museum and have a look on one of your files. But they are most probably lost (however, you can pull text from them if you need because of the way Ventura files are stored). 

I am pretty helpless with (especially legacy) macs. The file you provided had $vp extension and when looked in with a hex editor it seems to have been encapsulated in some Office file??? (perhaps in an email message). I can see that it contains a file with an original (Windows?) path E:\KNJIGE\KOMENTARI\KOMENTARI 2.vp, but I do not know how to extract this file.

Another problem is that I am not sure how .VP files should be opened. I managed to get version 3 running on System 6 but when I look at the documents this version creates, they seem to be Ventura chapter files (possibly binary compatible with .CHP files that store Ventura documents on Windows):

corelfiles.jpg.4371a495016842abe793ba324f652475.jpg

I also managed to get Corel Ventura 4.2 installed on an old Windows 98 computer but it cannot open the file you provided, but it might be able to open VP files. But it saves natively .CHP files so I am not sure.

Can you tell which version of Ventura was used to create these files? 

It seems that the version I have still uses the old .CHP format and that later Corel Ventura versions use the .VP format, and if so I cannot unfortunately help you further. But I know that there are other users on the forum who have used later Corel versions of this app so hopefully they can help you!  

I have a copy of Ventura 10 limping along on Windows 7 Pro.  The abandonment of Ventura Publisher is why I've been looking for alternatives, like Affinity Publisher.

If you have a modest number of documents, we can make an arrangement such that you transfer them, I attempt to export the text as either raw text or PDF, and transfer the results back.  Not planning on becoming a free service bureau, so prioritize please.

11 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

Not planning on becoming a free service bureau, so prioritize please.

What happened to love in this world? 😢

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hey Friedberg - that´s fine!

your name sounds german.... can we comunicate on german?

please can you send me just a small part or some pages so I can see the result. Than we can speak about the next step. (file is on the 4th post!)

OK?

Hey MikeW,

great job! Thx!

I see that you used CorelVentura10 for this - right?!

is it possible to export to idml? or Word? 

is it possible to switch off hyphenation?

is it possible to find&replace some special characters into croatian characters?

6 hours ago, Eisbar said:

Hey MikeW,

great job! Thx!

I see that you used CorelVentura10 for this - right?!

is it possible to export to idml? or Word? 

is it possible to switch off hyphenation?

is it possible to find&replace some special characters into croatian characters?

You're welcome. Yes, VP10.

It would be a bit of work, but it is possible to export each chapter as text...but there are features in that file that are not supported directly by any layout engine currently.

A new version of Word can convert a pdf to its own format, which I've attached here.

Mike

KOMENTARI 2.docx

On 9/10/2020 at 6:30 AM, Eisbar said:

your name sounds german.... can we comunicate on german?

Sadly, my Deutsch gibs ganz schlecht.  GI German ("Ami" Deutsch) only, and 40 years ago at that.

It looks like MikeW lent good assistance before I came back to the forum. If you have more to do, I can take a turn at it.

15 hours ago, MikeW said:

Yes, VP10.

Does this version still open old (DOS/GEM/Windows 16-bit/Mac 3.0/3.2) .CHP files? Corel Ventura 4.2 which I think was basically still by "Ventura Software" (Xerox) and just labelled "Corel Ventura" can, but I never upgraded to actual Corel versions. At least the first true Corel versions must have supported the old CHP format. It also seems that the later .VP files cannot be opened by e.g. CorelDRAW or any other software than Corel Ventura? I suppose Corel never released Mac versions of Ventura?

I don't think Corel bothered to add any file compatibility in regard of Ventura to any of its apps. Mac version was available for versions 3-5 (old times), but Corel dropped mac support when it acquired the app.

I used Ventura 8 for a few years, hated it. :2_grimacing:

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I used Ventura 8 for a few years, hated it. :2_grimacing:

It had its quirks, but in the late 80s it was in some things ahead of the others and probably had certain strong points also in versions created by Corel. At the time Corel acquired it (1993), I had already made a move and had been using for years Aldus PageMaker (along with PhotoStyler and FreeHand by the same company) so I never gave it a second chance (even if I had used CorelDRAW since version 1.0).

Ahhh FreeHand... :61_sob:

Affinity Photo 1.8.4,  Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4, Mac OSX 10.15, 2018 MacBook Pro 15"

Betas as they happen... 

7 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Does this version still open old (DOS/GEM/Windows 16-bit/Mac 3.0/3.2) .CHP files? Corel Ventura 4.2 which I think was basically still by "Ventura Software" (Xerox) and just labelled "Corel Ventura" can, but I never upgraded to actual Corel versions. At least the first true Corel versions must have supported the old CHP format. It also seems that the later .VP files cannot be opened by e.g. CorelDRAW or any other software than Corel Ventura? I suppose Corel never released Mac versions of Ventura?

I'm pretty certain v5 did open v4.2 and older files, and almost sure V8 did. But I don't think I ever tried when using v10.

v10 still opens .chp, etc., files...at least according to the Open dialog. However, one can still build publications using .pub files with individual .chp files in v10, so that isn't an indication of .chp era (old .chp files).

I would have to fix an older computer and hook up an old SCSI controller, hook up the syquest drive to take a look at my syquest disks where all those old publications reside on to find out...

I used all iterations of VP. In contrast to Fixx, I/we probably did 100 manuals and other long documents (or more) in v8.  I liked it.

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

It had its quirks, but in the late 80s it was in some things ahead of the others and probably had certain strong points also in versions created by Corel. At the time Corel acquired it (1993), I had already made a move and had been using for years Aldus PageMaker (along with PhotoStyler and FreeHand by the same company) so I never gave it a second chance (even if I had used CorelDRAW since version 1.0).

There are things, capabilities, in VP still not in any modern layout application that I push (mainly Quark) to implement. I've only successfully gotten one item implemented by Quark in QXP. One is in APub--but I didn't need to suggest it to Serif, that is asymmetrical columns.

VP was the first application to successfully handle tagged text files, though Frame did too (it was just funky to use and prone to breaking). PM was horrible. When we had a choice, we mainly used VP for long documents and shorter documents that made sense to use it. We used QXP for shorter documents where typographical control was needed but generally 64 pages and less. We used PM for ad hoc designs. And of course we used whatever the client wanted. We had a dozen or so word processors installed, all the then main vector design applications--and ones y'all may have never used (like Professional Draw). A few image editing applications, but mainly used PS. We were a PC shop, though we had a token Mac we sometimes used.

And more. We made data applications for medium/large companies and published data and/or designed publishing systems for them. Computer systems and all--heck, for a while we even sold HP computer systems to HP. 

Ah, those were the good/bad ol' days. After a little more than a decade and seven employees later, I got tired of it all. Gave my 51% of the business to my then business partner. Swore I would never have another company where I had employees again. Which, within two years, I had one employee, then two, ended at 11. Then left that business, rinse, repeat. Now I'm done with employees. I swear...

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I would have to fix an older computer and hook up an old SCSI controller

Sounds familiar, we had much of our old data archived on ever so handy Jaz disks... My recent visit to the museum of computing (= back end of my workroom) did not start well as I noticed I could not get the CHP test file easily transferred onto the old 16-bit Windows computer that I had to use to run Corel Ventura 4.2: it had a 10Base2 network card, and a 3.5 disk drive -- but happily also a CD drive so who needs Internet, LAN, fancy USB ports etc. when a CD burner is (almost) readily available to be used with a laptop -- as an external device. It is convenient that most of the old systems can now be installed as virtual OSs so there is less need for crawling on knees in dusty murky corners of one's workroom....

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

PM was horrible. When we had a choice, we mainly used VP for long documents and shorter documents that made sense to use it. We used QXP for shorter documents where typographical control was needed but generally 64 pages and less.

I can imagine We are just a family business and used PM for pretty regular stuff (even if mostly for longer texts like magazines and books) and I think we ever lost only one project because of its rather frequent crashes (it performed though perhaps surprisingly much worse and unreliably on Macs of that day). QXP we could not afford at the time -- with support for Finnish hyphenation it was ridiculously expensive even without extra cost of extensions. When our business had grown big enough for getting QXP, Adobe had already purchased away Aldus and released PM 6.0, which was pretty stable and included Adobe Acrobat Pro, and as they also offered Photoshop nearly free for owners of PhotoStyler, we were an easy prey for them ;-).  

DOS/GEM Ventura was a sort of a miracle of its time -- it could be run on a 286 PC with proper font metrics from Adobe even with CGA displays where what you saw was what you guessed, at best (Adobe Type Manager was not available, of course), to create pretty complex publications with plausible typographical precision, so good memories, but of course horrible workflows measured with standards of today.