You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Maybe someone in this forum can convert them to PDF. I do not have Ventura installed anymore in my win machine (maybe my old win box has is still). But I think some users here still have Ventura in active use.

As far as I know there is no way to open Ventura files direct with a mac.

I have a copy of Ventura 10 limping along on Windows 7 Pro.  The abandonment of Ventura Publisher is why I've been looking for alternatives, like Affinity Publisher.

If you have a modest number of documents, we can make an arrangement such that you transfer them, I attempt to export the text as either raw text or PDF, and transfer the results back.  Not planning on becoming a free service bureau, so prioritize please.

11 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

Not planning on becoming a free service bureau, so prioritize please.

What happened to love in this world? 😢

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, Eisbar said:

Hey MikeW,

great job! Thx!

I see that you used CorelVentura10 for this - right?!

is it possible to export to idml? or Word? 

is it possible to switch off hyphenation?

is it possible to find&replace some special characters into croatian characters?

You're welcome. Yes, VP10.

It would be a bit of work, but it is possible to export each chapter as text...but there are features in that file that are not supported directly by any layout engine currently.

A new version of Word can convert a pdf to its own format, which I've attached here.

Mike

KOMENTARI 2.docx

On 9/10/2020 at 6:30 AM, Eisbar said:

your name sounds german.... can we comunicate on german?

Sadly, my Deutsch gibs ganz schlecht.  GI German ("Ami" Deutsch) only, and 40 years ago at that.

It looks like MikeW lent good assistance before I came back to the forum. If you have more to do, I can take a turn at it.

I don't think Corel bothered to add any file compatibility in regard of Ventura to any of its apps. Mac version was available for versions 3-5 (old times), but Corel dropped mac support when it acquired the app.

I used Ventura 8 for a few years, hated it. :2_grimacing:

7 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Does this version still open old (DOS/GEM/Windows 16-bit/Mac 3.0/3.2) .CHP files? Corel Ventura 4.2 which I think was basically still by "Ventura Software" (Xerox) and just labelled "Corel Ventura" can, but I never upgraded to actual Corel versions. At least the first true Corel versions must have supported the old CHP format. It also seems that the later .VP files cannot be opened by e.g. CorelDRAW or any other software than Corel Ventura? I suppose Corel never released Mac versions of Ventura?

I'm pretty certain v5 did open v4.2 and older files, and almost sure V8 did. But I don't think I ever tried when using v10.

v10 still opens .chp, etc., files...at least according to the Open dialog. However, one can still build publications using .pub files with individual .chp files in v10, so that isn't an indication of .chp era (old .chp files).

I would have to fix an older computer and hook up an old SCSI controller, hook up the syquest drive to take a look at my syquest disks where all those old publications reside on to find out...

I used all iterations of VP. In contrast to Fixx, I/we probably did 100 manuals and other long documents (or more) in v8.  I liked it.

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

It had its quirks, but in the late 80s it was in some things ahead of the others and probably had certain strong points also in versions created by Corel. At the time Corel acquired it (1993), I had already made a move and had been using for years Aldus PageMaker (along with PhotoStyler and FreeHand by the same company) so I never gave it a second chance (even if I had used CorelDRAW since version 1.0).

There are things, capabilities, in VP still not in any modern layout application that I push (mainly Quark) to implement. I've only successfully gotten one item implemented by Quark in QXP. One is in APub--but I didn't need to suggest it to Serif, that is asymmetrical columns.

VP was the first application to successfully handle tagged text files, though Frame did too (it was just funky to use and prone to breaking). PM was horrible. When we had a choice, we mainly used VP for long documents and shorter documents that made sense to use it. We used QXP for shorter documents where typographical control was needed but generally 64 pages and less. We used PM for ad hoc designs. And of course we used whatever the client wanted. We had a dozen or so word processors installed, all the then main vector design applications--and ones y'all may have never used (like Professional Draw). A few image editing applications, but mainly used PS. We were a PC shop, though we had a token Mac we sometimes used.

And more. We made data applications for medium/large companies and published data and/or designed publishing systems for them. Computer systems and all--heck, for a while we even sold HP computer systems to HP. 

Ah, those were the good/bad ol' days. After a little more than a decade and seven employees later, I got tired of it all. Gave my 51% of the business to my then business partner. Swore I would never have another company where I had employees again. Which, within two years, I had one employee, then two, ended at 11. Then left that business, rinse, repeat. Now I'm done with employees. I swear...

• 3 months later...

I use Corel Ventura Publisher 10 daily. I also am running Adobe Framemaker 2019 (but prefer to use VP because it runs much faster). Figured out how to PDF with TrueType and Open Type fonts by converting them to Adobe PostScript type 1 font - but that's another story. 

It has opened a few CHP files that I had on some old CD. It won't be a smooth transition, but I may be able to help. 

(Since Ventura at that time did not "swallow up" the text file, the text file(s) are still there, and the Chapter file points to those files. I used WordStar with it.) 

I may be able to help you.