You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best format for placed images for Print

Hi there

Just looking for advice on image formats for print. I'm producing documents in Affinity Designer that need to be sent to the printer as a 'Press Ready PDF'.

The documents will contain images and text - the document set up will be CMYK - the PDF export will be CMYK.

So my question is what is the best format to use for images placed into the document.

A jpg is RGB but that's what I've always used before, but now I wondering if I should use TIFFs instead as a TIFF is CMYK.

Thanks

E

Both JPG and TIFF can be either RGB or CMYK. Therefore it should not matter which one you use. I use TIFF as it sure does not produce compression artifacts even with repeated saves and it marks my processed images to be "layout ready". 

Now you can also use RGB images in Designer and have export to convert to CMYK but you have to be careful with right PDF preset.

Thanks for the reply - I thought jpgs could only be exported as RGB. I got some postcards back from the printers the other day and the images were really dark and I'm wondering if that's because they were RGB JPGS placed within designer, even though the designer file was set to CMYK and exported as a CMYK PDF.