You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Multiple Photos

Hi

I sometimes like to gather multiple photos to add to my project. I have discovered that I can add multiple photos and they conveniently go into a column on the left called 'Place images'.

But, when I add one image into place, unless I use all of them, they just disappear and I have to re-add them all again.

Is it possible to add multiple photos to one area, so I can pick and chose any image, as and when, without losing all of them?

Keith Watts

That isn't really what "Place" is for: the idea is that you select the images and then "place" them in the document either singly or several, one after another. It isn't intended to be some sort of storage space. 

The best way to do what you want is to open each picture and then add it to the "Assets" panel, then drag them out as you need them. Alternatively you could open thumbnails in an image browser (such as  Irfanview) and just drag them into your document.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, Stern1 said:

But, when I add one image into place, unless I use all of them, they just disappear and I have to re-add them all again.

They should remain until you change to a different Tool. But as PaulEC mentioned, they are not intended for long-term storage.

19 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

The best way to do what you want is to open each picture and then add it to the "Assets" panel, then drag them out as you need them.

Note that all Assets are stored in a single file, which can become large, unwieldy, and fragile if you add lots of full-size images to it. With that architecture, storing the images you'll need in a separate directory, and using Place on them individually as they're needed, is a better approach in my opinion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

using Place on them individually as they're needed, is a better approach in my opinion.

That's true, but the OP said that he wanted "to add multiple photos to one area, so I can pick and chose any image, as and when, ". The Assets Panel will at least store them within APub, if that's what he prefers. It depends on how many images you want to add, but  it would be best to delete the images/category from the Assets Panel when the project is finished so as not to inflate the Assets file. Personally I tend to do as you suggest, use the Place command, (or just drag images in as I need them,) but different people prefer to do things in different ways. 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

27 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It depends on how many images you want to add, but  it would be best to delete the images/category from the Assets Panel when the project is finished so as not to inflate the Assets file. Personally I tend to do as you suggest, use the Place command, (or just drag images in as I need them,) but different people prefer to do things in different ways.

True :)

Another consideration is that using Assets you'll get Embedded images, not Linked images, making your .afpub file larger. And you lose the ability to easily detect changes to the source images and automatically update the .afpub file when the source images change.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1