You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wavy lines - Designer/Lazy Nezumi Pro/Wacom

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Affinity suite but generally getting on OK, though I've come across an issue with one of the helper tools I use. The issue points to a problem in Designer as it works absolutely fine in Photo.

I use a Wacom Cintiq tablet and the helper tool, Lazy Nezumi Pro, that basically constrains the cursor in any connected program. It automatically hooks into PS but you can manually hook any graphics app by hovering in the app.

Once connected it allows you to constrain to things like perspective or parallel lines etc. which brings me to the problem. If I use the parallel lines option with Affinity Photo, lines (Paint Brush tool) drawn are nice and straight, parallel lines as expected. However, with Affinity Designer the lines are a little wobbly, though they are parallel and Lazy Nezumi connects to Designer fine. I've attached some images to show the error. The 3rd image shows a comparison of constrained lines on the right, to directed lines on the left, showing that it's not typical staircase or anti alias. Also note, the Parallel constraint was the easiest to show the problem, it does it with all constraints. 

I've been on to the Lazy Nezumi support team and it's something they've seen before. They believe it's caused by the sampling of the mouse or tablet coordinates:

"Unfortunately some art programs don't have very good line engines. I haven't tested Affinity apps in a while, but I remember this being the case with them: they would only sample pressure from the tablet, and they would get x/y coordinates from the virtualized mouse driver, which would lead to jittery lines especially zoomed out".

I wondered if anyone else has seen this issue or if anyone knows of a workaround for the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Best regards,

Andy

Image_3.JPG

Image_1.JPG

Image_2.JPG

Hi Lee,

This is a really spooky coincidence but I might just have fixed it, 10  mins ago :) 

It does do the same with the mouse. I've been doing other things and literally just decided to have another look. I decided to see if I could make the tool icons bigger and looked under the Tools section of Preferences. How surprised was I when I saw an option under Tools, to set the tablet/pen precision to Low/High/Windows Ink! I'd found nothing through help and didn't expect it to be under Tools.

A quick play with it set to High, gives great results with the tablet, though the mouse is still poor, but I can live with that. I will try Windows Ink and see if there's any improvement for both.

Thanks for the reply.

• 6 months later...