You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems importing Raw files, .NEF

On the IPad Pro - 10.5 / 2018 as well as 12.9 /2020 (iOS 13.7) - I have the problem, that Nikon raw files from the D850 won’t be imported properly from Affinity. Instead very often only the thumbnails will be imported with 120*160px ... and the image is very ‘pixeled’... I attached a photo. It happens on almost every second imported RAW file!? The import I try is from apples photo app on the iPad where the images will be displayed correctly. Also an import to the RAW power app (as a verification) works fine. The problems appeared recently after the last updates of affinity and iOS.

I need help, as I bought the new bigger IPad explicitly for Image editing.

03428090-A2DA-449C-9B2D-68E60358E163.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a similar problem on a iPad 2019. I import my photos in Apple photo library. In Affinity Photo, I select my photo in format RAW (.nef) but it’s a pixelised and inverted photo that appears in .tiff format (120x160) ! I can see this Information when I want to make a panorama. When I select the 4 photos, one appears in .nef and the other in .tiff   I never used .tiff format, only RAW .nef and .jpeg

thank you for your help

Bonjour, j’ai un problème similaire sur mon iPad 2019. J’importe les photos de mon Nikon D200 dans la photothèque Apple. Dans Affinity photo, je sélectionne ma photo au format RAW mais elle apparaît pixelisée et inversée avec un effet miroir vertical ou horizontal en 120x160, apparemment au format .tiff  . Je peux voir ces informations quand je veux faire un panorama. Je sélectionne 4 photos. L’une apparaît en format .nef et les 3 autres en format .tiff ! Je n’utilise jamais ce format, uniquement RAW .nef et .jpeg 

merci pour votre aide

Can you make sure you are using the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.8.4) and also try changing the RAW engine photo is using.  To do this open a RAW file and click View>Assistant Manager and you'll see an option for the RAW Engine, on Mac we have the choice of two, so if it's currently on Serif LABS, change this to Apple Core Image RAW and then close that window, close your raw file and reopen it.  If it's currently on Apple Core Image RAW, change this to Serif LABS.  Both can open files from the Z7, so this should work regardless.

18 hours ago, toby01@hughes.net said:

you'll see an option for the RAW Engine, on Mac we have the choice of two, so if it's currently on Serif LABS, change this to Apple Core Image RAW

Not available on iPad in 1.84. Coming in 1.9 but currently only beta available.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, in advance if this was covered.  I am a new user with Affinity.  
I use a Nikon Z50, NEF raw files. Use Affinity for the iPad.  

I’ve seen where others, including myself, have issues of importing a NEF / JPEG combined formatted file from the iPad photo gallery.  I actually use an adapter that I put my sd in, put into the iPad and try to import from the Z50 drive that comes up. It seems all I get imported is the  pixelated 120x160? Icons. 

It does work when I upload to iCloud and then import from there.  In trying random things I noticed that when I select the Import from iCloud option in Affinity, on the iPad, and than at the top left drop down, and select the Z50 adapter drive, than I select the DCIM folder, than I select the folder with my photos, I then select one, which are raw files, as you can see the separate jpeg and raw files and their sizes, select a raw file and it imports it correctly each time.  

Again, sorry if this was covered, or there’s a better way to import from an iPad, but this works without having to load any raw files to iCloud first or some other intermediary location first.  

Edited by ItsMikeMazz

• 1 month later...

Same issue, when will it be fixed???? IPad Air M1,  IPad ISO 15.6.1 with Affinity 1.10.5, out of a Z6ii. Should Nikon RAW shooters just never use your software????? I’m not doing what MikeMazz is doing I have better ways to spend my time……