You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

buy software from reseller 3rd party

I previously bought Affinity Designer at a reseller at an online store and he gave me an email and a key.someone say he bought a lot of licenses during the 50% affinity discount promo and resold them with an additional profit, is this legal?can I use the software from that seller?previously I wanted to buy directly via paypal but my bank cannot be used for paypal verification

Edited by sodiqia
complete the question , sorry im using google translate

• Staff

Hi @sodiqia,

Welcome to the Affinity forum.

No this is not permitted and is covered in section 4 (b) of the End User Licence Agreement;

"you have no right to rent, lend, lease, sell, supply, transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Serif Software."

You should request a refund the seller and purchase a genuine licence through either our own site, the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store. If you experience any issues placing an order, please contact affinity@serif.com and our Customer Service team will be happy to assist you.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

5 hours ago, sodiqia said:

I tried to request a refund to the seller but couldn't, do I really have to buy the license twice and leave the previous license unused

I seriously doubt the seller is going to refund you money from something he sold illegally. To be legal you need to buy the license as StevenS said in his post.

You can be thankful the software is not all that expensive to begin with and you are not out a couple of thousand. 

10 hours ago, StevenS said:

" ... transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense ... "

An awful lot of transfers going on there! Shouldn’t it say something like “transfer, distribute, redistribute or sublicense”? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
13 hours ago, Alfred said:

An awful lot of transfers going on there! Shouldn’t it say something like “transfer, distribute, redistribute or sublicense”? :/

I think the same thing every time I quote it, I just assume it means something different in legal terms *shrugs*.

19 hours ago, sodiqia said:

I tried to request a refund to the seller but couldn't

My guess is that this is more "wouldn't" than "couldn't" - My advice would be to contact your bank and request a charge back, ultimately you have been mis-sold and the bank should help if you explain the situation.

9 hours ago, sodiqia said:

is it permissible to use a virtual credit card like JENIUS for the next transaction?

Not directly through the Credit/Debit card portal on our site, but if you apply the card to a PayPal account and pay through PayPal, you should not have any issues AND the purchase would be protected by PayPal.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.