You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.5.703 Very Slow To Load

clarp

Here it takes less than 3 seconds and I can start to work on those apps.

You should enumerate your computer specs, that could help to find out what's going on...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I've noticed the same slow startup times in recent months during the 1.8 beta period, continuing to this day with the 1.8.5.703 release. It used to startup within a few seconds, but now it takes 30+ seconds. I have noticed that the alpha channel of the Photo startup logo goes opaque, which I usually find in Windows 10 means the app is stuck in some sort of busy loop. It goes clear again, and shortly thereafter the main Photo workspace window opens. Everything else is fast on my system, and the hardware specs are no slouch: AMD 3900X, two HP EX920 m.2 1 TB SSDs (boot/OS/apps on one, photos on the other), 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1660 Ti.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Having a large number of fonts (thousands) installed can cause the app to load slowly on first run. It might be worth checking to see how many you have installed.

In my case, it isn't the number of fonts. 152 typefaces, 595 font files. The Affinity Photo splash screen does display the "Loading fonts..." status for a couple of seconds, but that's it. There is a 30-second pause before that happens, though, and it happens on every run. I had a quick peek with procmon, and it looks like the Photo.exe process is spending all that time reading ICC colour profiles and some "blacklist.txt" file, over and over and over again. Still digging around to see what's going on...

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Ah yes, ICC profiles can slow it down too. The amount of fonts you have aren't really a concern so I'm guessing it's the profiles—how many do you have?

96 files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. 26 of those are for my Epson 3880 printer, and I believe the rest are what ship with Windows 10?

I removed all the Epson ones, but then discovered something curious upon further testing. The first application restart after I removed the profiles finished in about 8 seconds. Great, looks like the hunch was right! But then I restarted it again to see if it could go even faster, in case it needed that first run to refresh a cache or something. Nope, the second time took 14 seconds. Then 28 seconds. Then 18 seconds, 34 seconds, 44 seconds, 23 seconds, 15 seconds, etc., etc. There were no other foreground apps open, and Task Manager confirmed Photo was the only thing with CPU and disk activity.

I quit and relaunched Photo several times while Procmon profiled it. It seemed that despite the widely varying launch times, Photo was doing pretty much the same thing every time. It seemed that parsing the ICC profiles took up the most amount of time. Procmon showed Photo.exe looping through the ICC profiles on disk with a very obvious delay between each one. While those delays were consistent within each launch attempt, they would be different between attempts. I can't tell why it behaves that way, only that it does. There's a ton of procmon data generated on each run, and I haven't had time to sift through all of it yet to create a better bug report. I'll also try booting Windows into safe mode to see if that makes a difference.

Procmon: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

1 hour ago, clarp said:

"Thank you" to the other users who have followed up with the same problem.. but please can we have a statement from Serif?

You did - @Chris B replied:

Having a large number of fonts (thousands) installed can cause the app to load slowly on first run. It might be worth checking to see how many you have installed.

Hi. I'm also having very long loading times on all affinity apps. I'm using Mac OS 10.15.6 and affinity 1.8.4.

They always used to open instantaneously but recently they often take a huge amount of time to open. Their icon bounces in the dock while using a processor thread at 100%.

This problem is only affecting the affinity apps and I don't have anything special on the mac, except dropbox, the system is untouched (not even additional fonts).

A fix would be greatly appreciated.