You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use dodge? Nothing happening ...

An opacity setting of 20% is quite low, especially with hardness at less than 70%, so any effect might be too subtle for you to see easily. Try increasing the opacity to 80% or more to convince yourself that it’s working, and then reduce it to a level where you have the desired amount of fine control.

1 minute ago, RNKLN said:

It looks like the background layer is locked. Could it be that?

Locking a layer should only prevent you from transforming it, not painting on it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

If the above does not change the result, try unticking Protect Hue on the context toolbar and let us know if this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

7 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

Is there a better way to light the right side of the image, or do I just need to get better at using dodge?

Are you trying to remove the "black eye" effect?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

20 hours ago, gumbo23 said:

I managed to get it working, but it just makes it look like I have a skin condition. 

Is there a better way to light the right side of the image, or do I just need to get better at using dodge?

Try improving the lighting with curves or levels. Then invert the layer and paint with white to only have the effect where you need it. Use a soft brush with low flow.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

You can add an adjustment layer (like curves) and set the blend mode to Screen.  You do not need to do anything to the curve.  Invert the layer mask (just select the layer and CMD-I or CTRL-I) to hide the screen effect and then use a white rush with low flow and 100% opacity to gently brush in the screened layer.  You can also clone the catchlight from the right eye onto the left eye.

Kirk