You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ui font and icon size is really very very tooooooooooo ~~ small !!

The ui font and icon size of Affinity Photo are really too small.
The fonts and icons are so small that it is too inconvenient to see the ui.
Blender has the ability to adjust the ui font and icon size.
By adjusting the resolution scale value, you can adjust the ui font and icon size to suit the user's screen resolution.
Please refer to the attached image and reflect it on the affinity product.

631766844_affityphoto.thumb.png.b17eb1d22af6ddc9bc865cfe50f12ff6.png

902497121_blenderuiscale1.thumb.png.e31fcf508313456cef683445c5a3dc4d.png

192337610_blenderuiscale1.5.thumb.png.f27bd80a934234a029a1095da3f9a994.png

Sigh, yes. I don't know how this was not foreseen. 

I can tell a certain company one certain thing about the future: it is coming.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This should really be handled at the OS level and be kept consistent among the individual apps.

Because the OP has Windows, it is set here:
Use Windows 10's individual display scaling to perfect your multi-monitor  setup | PCWorld

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The sizes are only slightly smaller than the size of text in the menu bar, etc., so it seems to me that if this text is too small for you, then you should basically be at the point of complaining about all of the other apps on your system as well.

This should really be handled globally at the OS level, not in the individual apps.

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Because the OP has Windows, it is set here:
Use Windows 10's individual display scaling to perfect your multi-monitor  setup | PCWorld

this mess things with some things. this should be in induvival apps becouse some gui works fine in 100% but not all programs. like Presonus Studio One and WIndows 10 pro works fine but sametime Affinity Photo/Publisher (i dont yet have have Designer) does not. programs sohuld give different size gui elements itself. at least this current one and one what is for example 150% bigger.

You might find helpful the discussion from December 2018 that describes Windows settings in 
 Settings/Ease-of-Access/Display/Make-text-bigger slider
that was introduced in Win 10 1809.

It affects some but not all text elements in the APhoto user interface.

As I wrote in March 2019:

What I see in Windows 10 version 1809 using the Windows 10 Settings/Ease-of-Access/Display/Make-text-bigger slider is that text labels in the Studio Panels are NOT affected. They all are stuck with the Affinity Miniscule [sic] font (as I call it).

But many other text elements in Affinity Photo can be enlarged using the Win10 slider that enlarges Windows system fonts. You will get larger fonts in Affinity Photo's Menu Bar, Toolbar, Context Toolbar, Tools Panel, and Status Bar. In addition, menu items in the dialog boxes or panels that control individual Adjustments (for instance Levels) are affected by the Windows text slider. The pop-up menus such as the list of Adjustments or Live Filters that appear when you click the icons at the bottom of the Layers Panel also respond to the Win10 system font slider. Also, the text Hints that pop up when you hover the mouse pointer over tool icons on the Toolbar and the Tools Panel are affected by the slider. 

I have my Win10 text slider set for 120%. If I set it to 200% and maximize the Affinity window, then the Status Bar text gets slightly clipped at the bottom. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

On 9/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, sorigrimm said:

The ui font and icon size of Affinity Photo are really too small.
The fonts and icons are so small that it is too inconvenient to see the ui.
Blender has the ability to adjust the ui font and icon size.
By adjusting the resolution scale value, you can adjust the ui font and icon size to suit the user's screen resolution.
Please refer to the attached image and reflect it on the affinity product.

What is your Windows display scale set to? What resolution is your monitor? We adhere to the display scale that is set in Windows. If you choose 200%, everything will be twice as big, if you choose 300% everything will be three times as big, etc.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:36 AM, fde101 said:

Agreed that some programs don't play nice with the setting.  Those programs should be fixed.

and this setting makes i feel some things what i dont want bigger theri guis are fine. becouse of this should part of program not whole operating system. i understand drawing many icons again is hard.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, Mark Ingram said:

What is your Windows display scale set to? What resolution is your monitor? We adhere to the display scale that is set in Windows. If you choose 200%, everything will be twice as big, if you choose 300% everything will be three times as big, etc.

Hello,

that's the thing : I don't scale my Windows interface because it makes other programs render incorrectly, so I am also stuck with a super small AP GUI. This thing should be handled at the program level, because users have different needs in different programs, it's really that simple. Hopefully since the interface scaling tech is there already, you can provide your users with a way to override the system setting.

Thank you,

Hadrien

43 minutes ago, Hadriscus said:

Hello,

that's the thing : I don't scale my Windows interface because it makes other programs render incorrectly, so I am also stuck with a super small AP GUI. This thing should be handled at the program level, because users have different needs in different programs, it's really that simple. Hopefully since the interface scaling tech is there already, you can provide your users with a way to override the system setting.

Thank you,

Hadrien

Hi Hadrien, if it makes other programs render incorrectly, perhaps that's a bug report that you should raise with them? 

> This thing should be handled at the program level

I disagree, I think there should be consistency across all applications on a user's system. Programs should "just work" without the user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application. Especially considering that the recommend display scale is automatically selected for you by Windows when you connect a new device.

That's right, scaling management must take place at the OS level. After all, it is not possible for me to set all the individual applications after connecting an external high-resolution monitor to a small-screen laptop, and then repeat it again after unconnect the monitor.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

33 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi Hadrien, if it makes other programs render incorrectly, perhaps that's a bug report that you should raise with them? 

> This thing should be handled at the program level

I disagree, I think there should be consistency across all applications on a user's system. Programs should "just work" without the user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application. Especially considering that the recommend display scale is automatically selected for you by Windows when you connect a new device.

I agree that would be ideal, but "ideal" is the enemy of "good" : many programs simply don't take Windows' GUI scale into account, and Windows scales them forcefully into a double pixel size. Some others do take it into account, but imperfectly : texts are truncated, UI elements overlap one another, etc (GTK2 based programs namely have a lot of problems). And finally, I would like to be allowed to scale a particular program's GUI differently than I do another, because the work that happens there is different, and so are the needs, can you see what I mean ? Blender does it, Houdini does it, Krita does it, the few "desktop" programs that I use do it at least to some extent (Foobar, Notepad++, etc) In essence it's really a binary choice : either you make you entire userbase wait for most existing programs to correctly implement Windows' GUI scale (potentially years), or you provide a handy way to circumvent that so that people can work in the meantime (bold for emphasis).

I also am an idealist, but sometimes we have to be pragmatic : several users have expressed the need for such an "GUI scale override" over the years -they're not throwing a fit, they have valid reasons. Ultimately stuff has to work -and when it doesn't, the end user does *not* care whether it's some application's fault or some other's. Please give me the choice to scale that GUI, Mark... I am not about to go nag a hundred contributors in fifteen different FOSS and proprietary projects to ask them to respect Windows' GUI scale parameter, hoping that everything will be fixed within the next decade. This is called a workaround, and it's filthy, but sometimes we have to get our hands and our pencils dirty.

Thank you for your attention,

Hadrien

2 hours ago, Hadriscus said:

I don't scale my Windows interface because it makes other programs render incorrectly

If for some reason (due to incorrectly functioning applications) you do not want to switch the display scale for the whole Windows, then you should switch the scale only for some applications.
In the properties of the running application, you can set the display method in the compatibility section.
image.png.0aebba97f062f19d6bbae24868b7c582.png

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-high-dpi-settings-classic-apps-windows-10-april-2018-update

15 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Windows scales them forcefully into a double pixel size

You can override this (or disable it completely) on a per-application basis by going to the Compatibility tab on the application shortcut's properties. More info is here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-10-make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible

Thanks for the tip ! however that sounds an awful lot like "user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application".

All because AP does not let me scale its interface. :/ It looks like ideology may be a hindrance here ? should we really be forced into reconfiguring our entire systems just because an editor makes the choice of not providing a simple solution for their users, based on the belief that "all should be consistent" ? Let's not be Apple, please... anyway I made my point in the previous post -I hope you guys will be able to hear it. Thank you for your attention,

Hadrien

3 minutes ago, Hadriscus said:

Thanks for the tip ! however that sounds an awful lot like "user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application".

All because AP does not let me scale its interface. :/ It looks like ideology may be a hindrance here ? should we really be forced into reconfiguring our entire systems just because an editor makes the choice of not providing a simple solution for their users, based on the belief that "all should be consistent" ? Let's not be Apple, please... anyway I made my point in the previous post -I hope you guys will be able to hear it. Thank you for your attention,

Hadrien

> however that sounds an awful lot like "user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application".

Yes - I thought that's what you were asking for 😉

> should we really be forced into reconfiguring our entire systems

No. You just accept the default, recommended scale that is provided for you, by the system. No configuring required - that's what we're aiming for here. A user should not be required to start our application, find the options, and then tweak the appearance to get it to a satisfactory level. It should just work.

My default stance is: If Application X does not scale it's user interface, according to the OS provided system setting, that is a bug in Application X. It should not become the burden of other applications who _do_ scale their user interface correctly, to provide work arounds of the OS setting. 

I'm happy for the feedback and suggestion to be made, and be discussed 🙂

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

> however that sounds an awful lot like "user having to go in and configure some UI scale that is specific to each application".

Yes - I thought that's what you were asking for 😉

Not at all, I am asking for a setting to override the system default DPI, that proves to be unwieldy in practice ! if the default does not work well, it's either 1.change one program or 2.change every program but one

4 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

My default stance is: If Application X does not scale it's user interface, according to the OS provided system setting, that is a bug in Application X. It should not become the burden of other applications who _do_ scale their user interface correctly, to provide work arounds of the OS setting. 

I understand this so well, and this is frustrating because you could be doing something, but instead you choose to settle with "it's not my fault", which is and never will be a fitting answer for anyone. This reminds me of when Torvalds shut a developer down because they had made a similar decision : "the problem is on their end, let them fix it" (paraphrasing). But the kernel was shipping and there has to be something done about it, so they ifdef'd that particular fix on their side, because it had to work, right ? you may have heard of this story. The point being, when you interface with an OS/other programs and something is wrong that's obviously the other party's fault, fixing it on your end doesn't make it your fault -All that matters is that users are able work with your solution as swiftly as possible, and you are bound to be praised for acknowledging that, at least by me.

This was particularly exerting to write out, English not being my language, so I'll leave it at that for the moment. I am glad you are staying to discuss this though, over your initial relunctant...ness (?). Anyway cheers !

Hadrien

• 3 weeks later...

+1 better ui scalability....

...In the meantime, to improve at least font readability (in all syste not only in AP/AD) on k4 monitor 
I personally use this https://www.wintools.info/index.php/advanced-system-font-changer as workaround and
seems to work better than using the slider to make your text bigger or smaller in windows display settings. 
Just setting everything to 11pt. is fine for me!
Just try.! .Hope it help

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Interesting Discussion.

I would like to ask if in Windows 10 the font size is changed then AP increases the font on screen. Why then doesn't the help screen increase in size? Surely this should work at the OS level and not the application level?

See attached image

Screenshot 2022-08-21 105137.png

Hello @Adamc13

The Help File is based on CSS-Styles. You can change the viewsize by holding down the cmd key and scrolling up/down with the mouse wheel.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

its 2022:
AI can create stunning images just from written text
but Affinity is still driven by ideology instead of usability.

No, not the User has to act - we may expect software to be smart.
one of the rules of usability is:  Don´t make me think.

I posted several hints for usability improvements during the recent years(?) - they did not even care.

Affinity-Users are usually not typical professionals - those are tied to Adobe (for several good reasons).
Affinity needs to accept: their audience are the amateurs and semi-pro - Users.