You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot paste (ctrl+v) hyperlinks when inserting hyperlinks.

Lukc666

Hello,

I've been having this problem since forever, and it never seems to have been fixed. When I want to insert a hyperlink (text > interactive > hyperlink properties or Add Hyperlinks icon via hyperlinks studio) I can't use cmd+V to insert a hyperlink. The only way I can get a functioning hyperlink is if I type it in by hand. When I type out the entire hyperlink it works fine.

This is incredibly frustrating.

The hyperlink studio also gives me a hard time when I try to select items to edit.

Is this a problem anyone else has discovered?

System: MacOS 10.15.6

Afpub: 1.8.4 (but I have had this problem for a long time)

3 hours ago, Lukc666 said:

I've been having this problem since forever, and it never seems to have been fixed. When I want to insert a hyperlink (text > interactive > hyperlink properties or Add Hyperlinks icon via hyperlinks studio) I can't use cmd+V to insert a hyperlink.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums @Lukc666.

For what it's worth, pasting is possible for that function on Windows.

However, I'm not sure if you're saying that you can't paste into the Hyperlink Properties box, or if you're saying that nothing ends up in the document. Those two functions turn existing text into a hyperlink, so if you're just clicking on one of them and then pasting you may be doing it in the wrong order.

If you want an actual visible URL in your document:

1. Paste your link ,
  2. Select all of it, and then
  3. Use the Text > Interactive > Insert Hyperlink... and choose URL as the type, then paste it again into the Properties box as the final step.

Or, if you want some other text that will act like a URL hyperlink (e.g., having "click here" act as a hyperlink) then replace step 1 with typing your text. Then continue with step 2.

But if you're saying that at step 3 you can't paste into the box that sounds odd.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, Lukc666 said:

I can't use cmd+V to insert a hyperlink.

It works for me in 10.14.6. – When I right-click an URL-link > Interactive > Hyperlink Properties... (or: 'Edit Hyperlink' for a linked file) it opens the options dialog with the link selected (highlighted), then cmd-v inserts text from the pasteboard. – What do you see and get instead?

1813380080_hyperlinkpaste.jpg.37ab03df488241b6e830a916a7d6c83e.jpg

9 hours ago, Lukc666 said:

The hyperlink studio also gives me a hard time when I try to select items to edit.

Is this a problem anyone else has discovered?

Yes, I run into this issue occasionally. It started and used to be permanent since the last update (1.8.4.) and got solved after an app pref reset, e.g. by renaming the pref folder to force APub to create a new one (Serif-store:  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/ , Apple-store:  ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/). Since then it occurred about 3 times and could get solved each time with an app restart.

This is reported and noticed by Serif. Note that Jon P (Serif) didn't get the issue with using my former pref folder but to me it appeared to work only after replacing this one (app restart did not work before to avoid the issue).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Walt, and thank you for the welcome!

It's that, step 3: 

1. Use the Text > Interactive > Insert Hyperlink... and choose URL as the type, then paste it again into the Properties box as the final step.

I'm not able to paste the text into the box. I have to type the URL manually.

It might have to do with the preferences reset. I'll try that and see if it fixes the issue.

FIXED: Resetting the prefs fixed both issues, selecting links in hyperlink studio and pasting urls into Hyperlinks > Hyperlink Properties box (see attached).

Link now works from within Afpub and from the output pdf.

It seems to have been a related issue.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

—L.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 19.47.32.png

Good to hear you've gotten it working. Thanks for letting us know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I have the same problem with not being able to use Cmd+V to paste into the URL field. It appears to be because I changed my keyboard shortcuts so that Cmd+V was paste without formatting, if I use Shft+Alt+Cmd+V it pastes OK.

But (for me at least) the URL field is not the highlighted field when the dialogue box opens, I have to use the mouse to select it to paste into, so just using keyboard shortcuts isn't possible to insert a hyperlink from selected text. Which is a shame!

5 hours ago, SarahB said:

But (for me at least) the URL field is not the highlighted field when the dialogue box opens, I have to use the mouse to select it to paste into, so just using keyboard shortcuts isn't possible to insert a hyperlink from selected text. Which is a shame!

On Windows, pressing Tab will switch from the link-type field to the URL (once you've chosen URL as the link type). The field is not highlighted, but after pressing Tab the Paste operation works.

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, SarahB said:

I changed my keyboard shortcuts so that Cmd+V was paste without formatting

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

but after pressing Tab the Paste operation works.

If your customised cmd-V doesn't work it may be caused by the fact that this field does not accept pasting without format.

As shown here this menu command "Paste Without Format" gets grayed out when the Hyperlink Property window is opened – which is imho a bug.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 11 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 10:43 AM, Gabe said:

Hi all,

Thanks for spotting this. Issue logged!

Any idea when this might be fixed? It's still not possible to paste without formatting in the URL field and this leads to other issues like the one I posted last year;

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/123872-copying-url-from-bulleted-list-includes-bullet-in-insert-hyperlinkurl/