You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request to show dimensions on arrow or line

+1

The arrows are there. But unfortunately there are no numeric dimensions.
Also, dimension lines must have different settings for line offset and text, to create custom styles.

I 100% support this suggestion! I have to return to Graphic whenever I want to produce a scale drawing because that application has a canvas scale and label configuration which makes scale drawing simple i.e. when dragging a new line, the dimension is show in the scaled up value. IMO this is the only thing missing from AD. Image of Graphic configuration option included below

Study_2_idraw.png

Study_2_idraw.png

Another vote for this feature!  I need to make REAL things, and need to be able print blueprints for them REAL-SIZE.

Corel Draw has always been helpful in this regard, but would dearly like to see your program replace Corel, which has become just onerously expensive ( not to mention very buggy the last couple releases!) 

3 hours ago, rt-it said:

I need to make REAL things, and need to be able print blueprints for them REAL-SIZE.

You should most likely be using CAD software for that rather than illustration/artwork software.

CAD software is a much more appropriate tool for that kind of work.

Just now, fde101 said:

You should most likely be using CAD software for that rather than illustration/artwork software.

CAD software is a much more appropriate tool for that kind of work.

I think you have zero clue about what kind of "work" I actually do. 😀

Suffice to say that "drawing" software has served me perfectly for the execution of more than 400 projects for satisfied clients in 44 different countries .

Its not like I am unfamiliar with CAD software, either. (It's just not the right tool for this particular kind of work...)

To me, CAD is about precision in planning.

I've never really spent any time working with CAD software in 3D - I've used 2D CAD software to create plans for woodworking projects in which I've had to account for the thickness of the individual pieces of wood, etc.  The final products are obviously 3D because they exist in the real world, but I was designing side views, front views, etc. as well as making cut sheets.

Curves are more "difficult" in CAD software because of the perceived need to specify them more precisely as I would expect to be required when trying to match the realities of planning or representing real-world objects.

I'm not sure what you are doing that requires precision for real-world object design but would not benefit from a tool that is designed to provide it, but as you seem to be familiar with the subject area and have determined that your needs are best met elsewhere, I'll leave you to it.

AD has accurate pixel output, and convenient control for graphics and technical illustrations.
Therefore, adding dimension lines and the ability to create your own styles for them will bring great benefits.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, PaintNut said:

Man, I need this functionality. Is this idea being considered?

Short answer is No.

Long answer is Affinity has Never said never. But do not wait on it showing up, they have far more pressing and requested features to build as it is.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.