You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

transparent black Contur becomes intransparent light grey contur, when imported from PDF (ArchiCAD)

daft

Hi there,

I export Plans from ArchiCAD to PDF and then import them into Designer (or Publisher). Transparent areas stay transparent, but transparent black conturs get converted to intransparent grey conturs.

It does not happen to conturs created in Affinity Designer, exported as PDF and then reimported to Designer.

It only happens to PDFs produced in ArchiCAD and then imported to Designer.

I suppose the same engine for PDF-Import is used in Affinity Designer and Publisher, and possibly even in another unrelated product PDFpen. As I can see the same results in these 3 apps.

However using Adobes stuff does not show this behaviour. Using Indesign transparent conturs/lines stay transparent.

I asked my client to provide a sample document and I will it attach it to this issue as soon as I get it.

Keep up the awesome work you do!

Daniel

Hi @gabe, how kind of you. I attached 3 files:

- the original PDF (export from ArchiCAD)

- a screenshot from Mac preview, that shows the correct appearance

- a screenshot from Affinity Designer

As you can see from the screenshots, the Trees on the right of the building disappear in Designer. The contours should be black with a transparency. The fill should be white with a transparency.

Instead the contours in Designer are set grey opaque, resulting in a very different appearance.

Regards,

Daniel

Designer.app.png

Vorschau.app.png

Original.pdf

• Staff

The "problem" the way Pdf viewers treat really thin lines. Your strokes are 0.038pt. PDF viewers will enhance that, whereas editing applications won't. We show them as they are, which are really really thin lines. 

image.pngIt's not an issue with out app, but with the stroke itself. 

As for the colour, it's using 50% grey, and we have the same 50% gray in our app too. 

Screenshot_2020-09-09_at_15_42_55.png

On 9/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, daft said:

Is there a way in Affinity Designer or Publisher to use the enhanced version instead of the real version? 

You could try to test the latest Designer Beta 1.9.0.* release. You can search for Select->Select Same->Same Stroke

and see how that makes selecting same strokes easier.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4