You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to increase gutter?

I'm looking at a proof of my new book and I'd really like to increase the gutter by a small amount.

What is the best way to do this?

I've tried just nudging the text boxes out on the master page, but my nerve is failing me - I'm not getting the info I need that assures me that the gutter is increasing by the same amount on both sides of the spread. All I can see is the x axis is changing. In Word it is simple, so I'm hoping there is a gutter control option somewhere.

Do I understand right that you want to increase the inner margin? So, what of you increase this values on master pages? At least auto-created frames (text flow) would resize accordingly.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Right-click a master page name > Spread Properties > Margins > Inner ...

Or, for document spreads only (not masters):

Menu File > Spread Setup > Margins > Inner ...

Having tried this, the actual layout does not change, even when reapplying the master to specific pages to check. Where am I going wrong?

It also depends how the objects in your document were created. For instance objects which don't have their borders on margins may not get adjusted with a margin adjustment.– Can you upload your .afpub, or a shortened version with master pages and just a 2-4 document pages only?

Apparently you have set the margin on the master page but also need to adjust their manually created text frames.

822380205_mastermargins1.jpg.fea425e679e83d7ffd50740644f4acad.jpg

As soon you set the width of the text frames on the master page you'll see them accordingly get adjusted on document pages, here on page 2:

279676665_mastermargins2.jpg.c2204edb192782144caee81202cde262.jpg

The fact that here page 1 also appears to be affected might result from a former state of the document and the deletion of pages (e.g. this page 1 might have been in your original .afpub a left page).

Note for margins (and other common items, e.g. pagination) on master pages: you can define a Master and apply this master to the other master pages, e.g. you could have 1 master for margins. That way you would need to adjust the margin on this "master master" only.

I think this circles back to my initial question. How do I adjust the text frames so that they are equal in distance from the center?

Changing the master page margins still makes no difference to the layout of the text frames. They only shift if I do so manually. 

Sorry, I don't really understand what doesn't work. You are right, you need to adjust the manually created text frames on the 2 pages of your master spread, additionally to the master spread's inner margin adjustment.

If you first adjust the inner margin it will be automatically identical on left/right pages. Then adjust the two master text frames, snapping to the new margin, and they will have the same distance to the spine. – If not, what in detail doesn't work?