You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Stitching panorama from raw files

Hi

If I want to do a panorama using raw files, if I stitch them first, how do I develop the output raw file. If I develop each separate raw file first, what if I develop each one with different settings so they don't match, you can see as a newbie I am confused as to how to go about things best practice.

Hope someone can give me some guidance and thanks...

What I do is make the adjustments in the Develop Persona for one raw file first. Then I make a Preset for each of the different panels (name each after the file name eg: 0341 for panorama) Then I load all the raw files and choose that/those preset(s) for each of the files and develop them. Now I run a Batch job on the *.afphoto files to convert them to TIFFs and load those TIFFs into a File > New Panorama.

Too involved? Yes, but I get better and more consistent results from the 'properly' developed .CR2 files than just using what ever default values Affinity Photo gives me if I use the .CR2 files in a new panorama. The trick is to choose a raw file which has the darkest and lightest values for setting the exposure etc, that way I won't be over/under exposing (or is it developing?) the rest of the files when I choose that set of Presets in the Develop Persona.

We can't make a Panorama from raw files and then develop them, the panorama will be an Affinity Photo file, not a raw file. Also note that you must select each Preset even though its name will already be in the Preset tab for each raw file, this is an annoyance.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

RAW files must be developed before they can be used for anything, because in their RAW format they have no usable information. (See Raw, Actually, for a description of the actual format.)

When using them with functions like panorama stiching an important question is, will you:

• open each file individually into the Develop Persona where you can control the development results, or
  • will you let the development be done automatically in the background during the stitching, where you have no control over the results.

Additionally, at this point the only functions in Affinity that will do a somewhat decent job of developing a RAW image are FIle > Open and File > New Batch Job in Photo. While you can use RAW files  in other areas (Designer, Publisher, and the other File operations in Photo) none of those will use the options set in the Develop Assistant, and you'll probably end up with results that are not what you'd like (as well as having no manual control over the development process).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Additionally, at this point the only functions in Affinity that will do a somewhat decent job of developing a RAW image are FIle > Open and File > New Batch Job in Photo. While you can use RAW files  in other areas (Designer, Publisher, and the other File operations in Photo) none of those will use the options set in the Develop Assistant, and you'll probably end up with results that are not what you'd like (as well as having no manual control over the development process).

Has something changed? I thought New Batch Job ignored Develop Assistant settings.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Has something changed? I thought New Batch Job ignored Develop Assistant settings.

That was improved in one of the 1.8 releases, I believe (though I've been unable to find the post I saw where Serif mentioned that).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, P_Monty said:

Thanks all - I was about to ask the same question. I assume nothing has changed in the last 6 months?

l recall at least one report that the Develop Assistant settings are being applied in some additional situations, but I haven't investigated that.

-- Walt
PC: