You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text is created with black background

• Staff

Hi @friedeggstudios,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Does it happen if you create a new document from scratch?
The only thing that occurs to me is pasting text or objects from somewhere else (not just Publisher) like a website or other drawing application then Affinity use the same attributes for newer objects created after that. Do you remember if that was the case when it started happening?

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:44 PM, walt.farrell said:

With the misbehaving text frame selected, click the Revert Defaults button: image.png.c8e3ff3bf32901004a6194d999536b62.png

Or Edit > Defaults > Revert.

Nearly 2yrs on from this original post, I'm suddenly getting the same behaviour in Designer (black background in text frame for no apparent reason). Thankfully @walt.farrell's fix still works - thanks Walt!

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in case anyone else experiences this - perhaps the bug they fixed in 1.9 is back?

FWIW -

• I'm using the latest version of Affinity Designer (1.10.5) on Windows 10
  • The file was created exclusively in Designer
  • No text has been pasted in from anywhere
  • Previous text frames within the document are fine and continue to appear correctly if copied & pasted within the document (only new text frames have the issue)  
  • The behaviour happens on text and artistic text frames
  • The issue persists if Designer is closed/reopened and following a system shutdown
  • The issue doesn't occur in new files or existing files, but appears to have started in a previous version of this particular file
  • I don't recall any crashes or issues and haven't added a background to the text at any point (the background fill shows it has no fill)

This doesn't appear to be a huge deal, as there are work-arounds, but like others, I have no idea how or why it started...

• 1 month later...

I am putting this here because it seemed to be related; I searched “black background” to see if others had a similar problem.

I created the file below, “2207 HOSS FactSheet” in Affinity Publisher, 1.10.5, on a Macbook Pro, Big Sur, 11.6.5, then exported as a PDF.  It looked fine, so then I uploaded it to WordPress media library, and got the file called “What the Heck?”—the text was suddenly unreadable on the black background.  I solved it by creating a white 8.5x11" rectangle, and layering it under everything else—but that is a work-around, not a solution.  I have 2 other files in the series of fact sheets, same issue, same work-around.  I just exported as a PNG, to make it easier to see the difference side by side; that file is “What 2207 HOSS FactSheet”.

Help?

What the Heck?.png

2207 HOSS FactSheet.pdf

What 2207 HOSS FactSheet.png

Edited by SallijaneG
clarify the order of the files, different in display than in draft form, and upload a PNG of the original to show the contrast better.

Hi @SallijaneG I suspect your issue with the black background is not related to the initial post on this thread. The PDF you attached does have a clipping path which corresponds somewhat to where the black backgroud is using the Wordpress Media Library. What preset did you use to create the PDF? I made a PDF using PDF 1a 2003 and that clipping path wasn't there in the new PDF, so that might be worth trying.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

4 hours ago, MickRose said:

Hi @SallijaneG I suspect your issue with the black background is not related to the initial post on this thread. The PDF you attached does have a clipping path which corresponds somewhat to where the black backgroud is using the Wordpress Media Library. What preset did you use to create the PDF? I made a PDF using PDF 1a 2003 and that clipping path wasn't there in the new PDF, so that might be worth trying.

I switched to a newer PDF format and exported, no change.  I added new pages and copied the various pieces onto them, got weird results (only the header image showing up in the PDF, for instance), and this morning thought—HA!  I have 2 in the series that worked, I will just paste the text from the problem file into a clone of one of those, and it worked, exported into the Media Library with no issue.

(BTW, I am something of an amateur; clipping path?  I’ll have to look that up.  Hmm, I did not knowingly create a clipping path—no background removal, just a few text boxes and graphics placed on a single letter-sized page; I guess it will just remain a mystery.  Thanks for your efforts.)

Edited by SallijaneG
added commment about clipping path

Hi @SallijaneG - if you have found a workflow which works then stick with that.  If you can find out exactly why it works then thats a bonus. Clipping paths are pretty common in PDF files - they are usually created when the PDF is created rather than at the design stage.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM