You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text is created with black background

Hi,

I've been using Affinity Designer for awhile now, and just today it has started putting a black background on any text I create (both frame tool and artistic). 

I go to the character palette, and the background color is set, but it is not black. The frame background is black ,and there is no way to change this.

I tried relaunching Designer, and it is still happening. If I convert the text to curves, I get the text object and another object that is a black box. 

What can I do to stop this from happening??

Thanks,
Colin

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.35.44 PM.png

3 hours ago, CPritchard said:

black background on any text

I don't know, but the text in your image doesn't have a black background. Its background color corresponds to the color selected on the Character panel. Black is the background of the frame. Your fill color is set in APublisher (Text Frame panel). 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Just started happening to me, too. It's only happening in one document, I tried making a new document and text works fine. But I can't put new text in the document I'm working on without a black background any more.

macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Designer 1.8.4

With the misbehaving text frame selected, click the Revert Defaults button: image.png.c8e3ff3bf32901004a6194d999536b62.png

Or Edit > Defaults > Revert.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, kwaaui said:

Thanks Walt, much appreciated. Any clue about how did that happen in the first place?

You're welcome. If you're absolutely sure you've never edited that document in Publisher, then I have no idea.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks, @kwaaui. In that case, if you can figure out what you did that caused the problem, it would be good documentation for a bug report. Creating that situation should not be possible using only Designer or Photo, as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
12 hours ago, kwaaui said:

Thanks Walt, much appreciated. Any clue about how did that happen in the first place?

Hi @kwaaui,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Have you have assigned black as the background colour in the Character Panel (second colour well on the right of the font style dropdown)?

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, @kwaaui. In that case, if you can figure out what you did that caused the problem, it would be good documentation for a bug report. Creating that situation should not be possible using only Designer or Photo, as far as I know.

I tried to understand what happened, but I was just adding text fields above artboards in order to export the whole document with artboards' titles included. At some point, while dragging a text box, I started seeing the black background

CPritchard: I think part of the problem here may be that the image you gave in your first post does not match the problem you describe in the text.
For example, you say the text has a transparent background but in the image it has a geen-ish brown background.
It’s often difficult to diagnose problems where the image and text of the problem don’t match.
Also, it’s usually best to give a full-screen screen-grab which also shows your Layers Panel with the problem layer selected and visible in that panel.

The more we have to work with, the quicker we can find an answer for you.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi CPritchard,
Your case is different from @kwaaui (to which i was referring to in my reply above). Can you please attach the afdesign file for inspection please? Thanks.

@MEB I had the same situation as @CPritchard, the background well in the Character Panel was set to transparent; I set it to a colour and then back to transparent to give it a try, but that only affected the line of text, not the whole text box. Once I clicked the Revert to defaults button, after @walt.farrell's suggestion everything was back to normal 

• Staff

Sorry, my reply is still there but i've hidden it temporarily while I take a deeper look at this. At first sight seems a regular text frame with a background colour set (as created in Publisher). If you and kawaii were able to somehow create this in Designer from scratch then something's wrong. It's also a bit upsetting we can't remove it without reseting the whole object (i believe i've logged this one sometime ago - will check this out as well). I've unhidden the post now (completely forgot about the e-mail notifications). My apologies for the confusion.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, friedeggstudios said:

Same issue here, when i type basic artistic text i get a solid colour background instead of being transparent. This is not the case in 1.8 where everything works correctly.

If you're having an issue with the 1.9 beta, then you should post a new topic in the appropriate application's beta forum.

-- Walt
PC: