You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ɨ

Photo Restoration

Smee Again

Ran across a youtube video using the attached photo in a photo restoration video (watched about 30 seconds and had to try it myself). I found a copy of the photo and downloaded it.

The after pic took a few hours spread out over a few days (I'mĀ  back working at the furniture store šŸ˜£) so it's a little each day..

Any constructive criticism welcomed, It was a lot of fun and I learned. Preferred the Black and White to the Sepia of the original, so converted it after I felt I was done. There was more I could do, but decided this was a good stopping point.

restore_challenge_before.jpg

restore_challenge.jpg

I myself have spent many an hour restoring photo's - mainly old family photo's and the occasional download for skill honing purposes, and afterward I sit back and pat myself on the back for a job well done.

You should do the same.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Her eyes, his lips and her lips look better in the original.

Also, both thier hair have lost the consistent coulouringĀ and smoothness and have introduce some "greying hairs effect", especially so on his.

Otherwise an excellent job on her dress and his uniform and the other tears in the original image

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Her eyes, his lips and her lips look better in the original.

Also, both thier hair have lost the consistent coulouringĀ and smoothness and have introduce some "greying hairs effect", especially so on his.

Otherwise an excellent job on her dress and his uniform and the other tears in the original image

Thanks! That is a lot of help, and gives me something to consider in the future.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post was that the photo was restored in the original sepia colors, and the finished image was then exported as a jpg before being converted to greyscale. This may account for the "greying hair effect" you are seeing. Perhaps I should have adjusted shadows and highlights after conversion.

The hair on his left (image right) was simply one brown blob with absolutely no texture. Looking at the image, her right eye and right nostril both had to be repeated from the left.

The dress was about the most difficult part of the project, but also the one that offered the most insight. Wish I had tackled it first, sure would have built some confidence at the beginning -- and might have helped improve the results of the rest of the image.

5 hours ago, jeffers said:

I say you've done really good job and as I've played with various restoration photos I know how much time and patience it can take so award yourself a pat on the back!

Ā 

4 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

I've done a bit myself, and I echo what jeffers has said. Grand job!

Ā 

4 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

I myself have spent many an hour restoring photo's - mainly old family photo's and the occasional download for skill honing purposes, and afterward I sit back and pat myself on the back for a job well done.

You should do the same.

Thank you for your kind words. Don't know about a pat on the back, just see it as a step on the way to getting better.

Be well all.