You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When opening any document a blank screen appears

Usually while opening a new document there is an option to select a background. White as a default and transparent as an option.

Since yesterday, if i open any new document of a previous one with layers...i can only see a full black screen which is usually outside the background.

Any solutions pls? Why is this hapening?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

In any situation like this where "it changed yesterday" the first question should be: Did you make any changes to your system yesterday? For example, did you add any new applications, add any new hardware, remove any hardware, change any system options, upgrade the OS to a different one, etc.?

If you have multiple monitors, did you change their configuration? For example, if you have multiple monitors and removed one, perhaps the document is  trying to display on the one you removed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

In any situation like this where "it changed yesterday" the first question should be: Did you make any changes to your system yesterday? For example, did you add any new applications, add any new hardware, remove any hardware, change any system options, upgrade the OS to a different one, etc.?

If you have multiple monitors, did you change their configuration? For example, if you have multiple monitors and removed one, perhaps the document is  trying to display on the one you removed.

No sir, i had no hardware or software changes. 

I do have problems with just my keyboard and trackpad going on....could There be co relations between these 2 problems 

Thanks for the additional info.

I don't see how this could be related to issues with your keyboard or trackpad.

I have no additional ideas; someone else may be able to provide additional suggestions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, ABDULKADIR SIAMWALA said:

Since yesterday, if i open any new document of a previous one with layers...i can only see a full black screen which is usually outside the background.

Please upload a full-size screenshot showing us what you see when you open a document, please ensure the Layers Panel and the Navigator Panel are visible on screen

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue that suddenly started. When I start a new image or load an old one, it's just blank. I recently updated to Big Sur on MacOS, but can't recall if it's been working since then. Happens the same on Publisher, Designer and Photo. Here's a screenshot of loading a file that once worked. Fully expecting a stupid setting I've clicked or something, but I'm at the point where I'm frustrated enough to risk ridicule by posting here ;)

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 09.43.18.png

• 2 weeks later...

Serif Are Very Slow to Respond to This Type of Issue.

I am sorry to hear that you have a big issue with Affinity products, it is not unusual for developers to have some issues, but despite numerous reports to  Serif of these problems, it took 5 months for it to be fixed.  My experience is that these issues take 2 or 3 update versions to be error free, and even then there are often some issues.

Having had several poor experiences with Serif on the upgrade to Cataline, I decided to await for the 3rd update before upgrading to Big Sur, as I rely on Affinity Photo for my work.  I was forced to go back to Photoshop for the period between upgrade and fix - hugely problematic, costly and unsatisfactory - a previous issue was not addressed for 5 months...

Serif products are excellent, but I guess the price charged reflects the ability to keep the products working.  I hope Serif are able to fix the issue quickly.