You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Resolution for Panorama, HDR, Stack, and Focus Merge

1 minute ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I tried to open it and I got an error saying that there is no program on my Mac that can open this file.

A .macro file contains a single macro & must be imported into AP's Macro panel when a document is open. From there it can be added to the Library panel. A .macros file (note the plural form) contains one or more macros & can be imported into the Library panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The "issue" with AP's macro recorder is it cannot record an export step (or a save step or anything else that requires user interaction other than the few macro steps that allow limited interaction via the "Edit" gear icon).

But setting DPI via a macro is easy so it could be included in an AP batch job. Since anything developed in AP is initially in the native file format & would have to be exported to TIF, PNG, etc. anyway, a batch job might be a usable workaround, as @Old Bruce suggested.

As I mentioned to @Fixx I can manually change the resolution. All I have to do is go to the document menu, then go to Resize Document in the menu. When the resolution window opens I simply uncheck the resample box and then change the 96 to 300. Then I just click save and that changes it from 96 to 300 PPI.
But if AP simply made the panoramas with the same PPI that the original source images were I would not have to do these extra steps.

10 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

As I mentioned to @Fixx I can manually change the resolution. All I have to do is go to the document menu, then go to Resize Document in the menu. When the resolution window opens I simply uncheck the resample box and then change the 96 to 300. Then I just click save and that changes it from 96 to 300 PPI.

FWIW, you can record a macro to change the value to 300 in exactly the same way, but macros can't record a save step so that still would have to be done either manually or with a batch job that includes the macro.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

A .macro file contains a single macro & must be imported into AP's Macro panel when a document is open. From there it can be added to the Library panel. A .macros file (note the plural form) contains one or more macros & can be imported into the Library panel.

Is a macro anything like a preset?
I have created a number of presets for things like RAW adjustments, lens correction, and detail sharpening.
But I have not seen anything in AP that says "Macro".
Maybe it is the terminology I am missing here.

Affinity Photo 

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I understand now.
I was missing the terminology.
Before I got AP I used to use Photoshop CS5 and it had a similar feature, but it was not called Macro.
However, it did do the same thing and I did use it to make step by step presets.
But I only used it if I needed to do batch work, which I rarely did.
I will have to experiment with it and see if I can create my own macro.
But if not I will just do it manually like before.

1 minute ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

Before I got AP I used to use Photoshop CS5 and it had a similar feature, but it was not called Macro.

AP's macro feature is unfortunately far less powerful than the scripting support built into Photoshop.

Affinity Photo 

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AP's macro feature is unfortunately far less powerful than the scripting support built into Photoshop.

Well, since I don't normally do batch work I can just do the resolution changes manually.
I originally got AP because my Photoshop quit working when I upgraded my Mac to High Sierra.
Photoshop support techs told me that CS5 had not been tested on anything higher than El Capitan.
And since I needed a good photo-editing program for my photography work I tried AP and found that most of its features were similar to Photoshop.
The resolution issue I posted about is more of an inconvenience than a real problem.
Maybe the AP developers will fix it in a later release.

6 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

Well, since I don't normally do batch work I can just do the resolution changes manually.

Adding the macro would make that part a one-click step.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Adding the macro would make that part a one-click step.

I will have to experiment with it.
When I first got the AP program it did take me a few months to figure out all the picture development controls because although most functioned like Photoshop there were differences I had to get used to.

• Staff
On 9/6/2020 at 4:02 PM, DeepDesertPhoto said:

My question is why does AP produce a 96 PPI image when the original source images for the panorama or focus merge are already set at 300 PPI.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is something I've raised with the development team recently, as I too noticed this when using the Focus Merge function and have spoken with one of our Photo devs. Currently the app is hard coded to generate 96DPI files from these functions, however we're looking into reading the DPI and any common metadata from the source images and retaining this during the merge/panorama process. If multiple DPI's are detected, I suggested in the improvement log that we use the largest value available from the images.

Would this satisfy your needs within Affinity? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is something I've raised with the development team recently, as I too noticed this when using the Focus Merge function and have spoken with one of our Photo devs. Currently the app is hard coded to generate 96DPI files from these functions, however we're looking into reading the DPI and any common metadata from the source images and retaining this during the merge/panorama process. If multiple DPI's are detected, I suggested in the improvement log that we use the largest value available from the images.

Would this satisfy your needs within Affinity? :)

Yes, this was the kind of answer I was looking for.
All I wanted to know was if AP was generating 96 PPI as some kind of default setting when creating Panoramas, HDR Merging, Stacks, and Focus Merge.
Most of my work involves creating panoramas and focus merging multiple exposures with different shutter speeds.
And yes, having it generate images using the PPI of the source images would suit me just fine.
If your development team is working on it hopefully they will have an update for this later.

On a side note, I have been recommending the AP program to friends and colleagues of mine who are getting tired of paying the monthly subscription fee for Adobe's Creative Cloud.
That's why I got AP to begin with.