LondonSquirrel

Minor bug - missing Cmd-L shortcut icon

There are quite a few of these sorts of missing shortcuts in context menus. Hopefully they will be fixed.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.6 | Affinity Photo 1.8.6 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.6 | Beta versions as they appear.

Based on this topic, am I right in assuming that Lock/Unlock layer should be an option in the context menu?

I was looking for this option in the menu today but couldn't find it, and it seems having it there would be a neat way to avoid fishing around in the layers panel.

Hi @LondonSquirrel,
The shortcut doesn't appear in the layer context menu (Layer panel) because it's a toggle - the same command locks and unlocks the layers thus the shortcut is not displayed. In the application menu those commands are separate entities and each one can have its own shortcut. Same for Hide for example. It's a way to can keep the contextual menu short. 

There's however a couple issues which i will be checking with development (for example Rasterise & Trim command appear in the layer's context menu but not in the app's Layer menu). Some  shortcuts in the context menu in the Layers panel (non-toggles) should have a shortcut displayed but they don't (for example New Layer).

@simonlayfield,
Not all commands have to appear in all context menus - just the most useful. I agree it would be nice to lock/unlock an object directly from the canvas. I will pass this suggestion/feedback to the dev team.

@MEB Cool! Yeah of course understand that not everything can go in there, but quickly locating and unlocking locked layers in a complex comp can be a bit of a chore given that they aren't selectable from the canvas (due to being locked), so this would be really useful. Not entirely sure how you'd manage unlocking a layer beneath another locked layer on the canvas, but I guess unlocking the overlaying locked layer first would seem a reasonable expectation.

22 hours ago, MEB said:

because it's a toggle - the same command locks and unlocks the layers thus the shortcut is not displayed.

Not on windows.
Maybe have the toggle for hide/lock also available on windows.

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Not on windows.
Maybe have the toggle for hide/lock also available on windows.

It's a toggle for me, on Windows:

image.png.c63c6664f95f3fc408a589082fbba615.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta.

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Not here in publisher as shortkey

Sorry, haakoo, I'm not sure what you mean.

Publisher and Designer work identically for me. In the right-click menu for the Layers panel, Lock is a toggle. And Ctrl+L is not shown as a shortcut key because if it were shown, that would mean that one use of Ctrl+L would Lock the layer, and a second use would Unlock it. But that's not how it works. To Lock you need to use Ctrl+L and to Unlock you use Ctrl+Shift+L.

In any case, those shortcuts do not invoke the action in the right-click menu; they invoke the action in the top menu, Layer > Lock or Layer > Unlock.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, MEB said:

Hi @LondonSquirrel,
The shortcut doesn't appear in the layer context menu (Layer panel) because it's a toggle - the same command locks and unlocks the layers thus the shortcut is not displayed. In the application menu those commands are separate entities and each one can have its own shortcut. Same for Hide for example. It's a way to can keep the contextual menu short. 

There's however a couple issues which i will be checking with development (for example Rasterise & Trim command appear in the layer's context menu but not in the app's Layer menu). Some  shortcuts in the context menu in the Layers panel (non-toggles) should have a shortcut displayed but they don't (for example New Layer).

@simonlayfield,
Not all commands have to appear in all context menus - just the most useful. I agree it would be nice to lock/unlock an object directly from the canvas. I will pass this suggestion/feedback to the dev team.

In that case I would strongly suggest adding Merge Selected and New Fill Layer to the R click menu for the Layers panel. Been trying to push for this change since 1.6, but to no avail.

I used these operators a lot in Photoshop. To me they are essential for a solid workflow.

As for adding a lock/unlock feature of layers on the canvas, might I suggest adding it to the Move Tool? Would be nice if you could press ctrl+alt+shift+L click to toggle lock/unlock just to make things flow nicely while working. Lock/unlock primarily affects that tool, so giving it this shortcut makes sense from a UX design perspective I think.

Alternatively you create a lock/unlock feature directly onto the Move Tool box itself where you click to toggle lock/unlock similarly to how you can rotate or skew your selection. This would be a nice visual to show if something can be transformed or not.