You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Version 1.8.5.703 Crashing out

@John Alex

Inevitable questions: which app (presumably Photo)?  Which OS?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

7 hours ago, John Alex said:

@Alfred That's cool and all, but not addressing my problem. 

True, does not, but Alfred probably thought that you might need to use the previous version so pointed out where you can get it.

To get some meaningful help we, mainly Serif, needs a lot more info since they're not sitting looking over your shoulder. First what we do know is the current version is not the problem. If it were. then everyone would be complaining about the same thing as you.

What we don't know:

1. Is it just any photo, or just one specific photo? What type of photo is it? A RAW file, a JPEG, TIFF, PNG... ?

2. What OS are you running, Win (version) or MAC (version)?

3. Is the photo on another drive and is that drive internal or a external drive?

4. When you installed the current version, did you over-install or do a clean install, where you uninstalled and removed all traces of the previous version before installing the current one?

5. Have you tried just reinstalling the current version? Sometimes a critical file can get corrupt and cause problems when trying to run the program. Have you tried to re-download the updated version?

6. Try holding down the CTL key while launching the program. This will bring up a Clear User Data dialog. Select all and clear them, then try to launch the program to see if it helped.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

7 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Try holding down the CTL key while launching the program. This will bring up a Clear User Data dialog. Select all and clear them, then try to launch the program to see if it helped.

The ‘Select All’ option is a bit drastic, especially if you haven’t backed up things like custom brushes and macros. It’s worthwhile initially trying the default selection (only the first three checkboxes checked) to see if that’s sufficient to resolve the issue.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

The ‘Select All’ option is a bit drastic, especially if you haven’t backed up things like custom brushes and macros. It’s worthwhile initially trying the default selection (only the first three checkboxes checked) to see if that’s sufficient to resolve the issue.

Yes I agree. I was going on the premise where the OP stated he just installed the new release. So I'm guessing he may not have had any custom brushes or settings established. Also that's why I asked how the OP installed.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I was going on the premise where the OP stated he just installed the new release.

So was I, initially, but then I noticed that he went on to say “Never had a problem before update.” ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Right gents, thank you for your replies.
Firstly i'd like to address, that there is a few people having the same problem as I am, with the new version crashing.
When opening a RAW file, Nikon Z6 camera. It will crash before I can get to the editing stage, files are on local drive. I downloaded the new version as it prompted me to, started install, and it said was updating, all installed, then the problem occurred. So deleted it, tried a fresh install. exactly the same problem. "first what we do know is the current version is not the problem" How is it not that there's NOT a problem with the new build? when the previous was fine?

6 hours ago, John Alex said:

"first what we do know is the current version is not the problem" How is it not that there's NOT a problem with the new build? when the previous was fine?

I should have clarified that more. If it was just the software, then everyone, including me would be having the same problem. So it can not simply be the fault of the program. There's a conflict occurring between the program and your machine. That could be firmware, hardware or other software you have installed.

You stated "before you get to the editing stage", and you're opening a RAW file. So you are able to get the file open into the Develop Persona correct? That narrows it down more. Does the crash happen when you press the Develop button or before, when you're working on the file?

Can you attach the latest crash report? You can find it in %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports . 

• Staff

Hi John Alex,

Please could you navigate to to the following location on your computer (%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0) then rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0.old then start the app to see if this solves your problem.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.