You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a problem opening RAW files direct, I've tried Sony ARW raw files from my A7iii and Canon CR2 files from my 6D. Affinity Photo crashes immediately after displaying the embedded jpg preview file. I'm running version 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10 v1909.
I don't usually open raw files direct as I usually round trip TIFFs from Capture One.

If I open the same RAW files using the "Open in Affinity Photo" option in Capture One the RAW opens correctly without crashing. Similarly using the right click "Open with" menu in Explorer opens the RAW without crash. The problem seems to only happen if the file is opened directly from the File - Open menu in AP.
Is this a know problem and is there a fix or work around for it?

Edited by MarkPeers

• Staff

Hi Mark Peers

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you navigate to to the following location on your computer (%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0) then rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0.old then start the app to see if this solves your problem?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

13 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Mark Peers

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you navigate to to the following location on your computer (%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0) then rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0.old then start the app to see if this solves your problem?

Thanks Callum

Your suggestion does seem to stop the crashes but as you know also resets all the configuration back to defaults. I have two areas of configuration that I put back, one is a number of LUT presets and the other is adding Plugins. Putting these configurations back causes the crashes to start again. I was using the same LUTS and plugins on the previous version of AP and didn't have these problems.

• Staff
On 9/8/2020 at 10:53 PM, MarkPeers said:

Thanks Callum

Your suggestion does seem to stop the crashes but as you know also resets all the configuration back to defaults. I have two areas of configuration that I put back, one is a number of LUT presets and the other is adding Plugins. Putting these configurations back causes the crashes to start again. I was using the same LUTS and plugins on the previous version of AP and didn't have these problems.

Please could you provide some of the LUTS in question?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems to be more than just RAW files causing this crash. It crashes almost every time I use the 'edit with' function in Capture One. CO creates a 16bit TIFF file and sends it to AP. AP opens and displays the file momentarily and then crashes. I have uninstalled, deleted all config files, re-installed and it still crashes. I have tried version 1.8.5, 1.8.4 and 1.7.3, all versions do the same. 
Any ideas what might be causing this would be very welcome. 
Is there any way of extracting any useful clues from the crash report files that are filling my disk?   

• 2 months later...

Was there ever any kind of resolution to this problem? 

The thread seems to have died at this point, with no further replies.

I have the same problem; recently started using capture 1 20 express to develop my fuji compressed rafs & when I click 'edit with affinity photo' A/P flickers & crashes.

The 1st few days of this work flow were OK, then crashes became steadily more frequent & now pretty much 100%.

I'm using a dell inspire 15 7195 2 in 1, i7,  uhd

touchscreen & dell stylus; capture 1 20 express for fuji; affinity photo 1:8:5:703 ( downloaded again today).

• 9 months later...

Hi,

having a similar problem with Affinity on any version, I tried all al the advises and suggestions in the threads and other web forums but its just frustrating to see that u must be either programmer and it expert as well when u actually want work as Fotographer.
I Freshley installed affinty and opend a raw file( .cr2/.nef ) Nikon and Canon ( single raw file ) everytime i hit "develop" the pic gets darker and the whole programm closes but there appears no crash report or similar.

Grafik diver is up to date ( Nvidia Quadro K620 )

In affinty settings it says i cant use open gl becuase :

"The rquired Windows version is > Windows 10.0.19042
My detected version is Windows Pro 10.0.19042"

Ok ???

I hope u can help fix that Problem.

Kind Regrads

Edited by Name_Used
writing fails

8 hours ago, Name_Used said:

"The rquired Windows version is > Windows 10.0.19042
My detected version is Windows Pro 10.0.19042"

If it actually uses the ">" symbol, it means the required version must be greater than 10.0.19042.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, Name_Used said:

No, it says you need at least 19042 and a modern GOU that supports OpenCL.

As you have an appropriate Windows release, that must mean your GPU isn't appropriate. You can run the dxdiag command in a Windows command prompt to see what it supports.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1