You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pre-sharpening and Output sharpening

I've been trying to better understand Pre- vs Output sharpening (as per Nik Collection RAW Presharpener / Output Sharpener) but using Affinity Photo. In the Develop Persona, Detail Refinement has both Radius and Amount as percents (0-100). On the other hand, in the Photo Persona, Radius is in pixels (0-100) and Factor ranges from 0-4. Two questions: 1) since Radius in both is 1-100 can I assume that e.g., 5% in DP is equivalent to 5 pixels in PP, and 2) can I assume that an Amount of e.g., 25% in DP is equivalent to a Factor of 1 (25% of 4) in PP?

Where is Detail Refinement in Photo Persona? Or are you using another type of sharpening?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

29 minutes ago, Bruce Atkinson said:

I've been trying to better understand Pre- vs Output sharpening (as per Nik Collection RAW Presharpener / Output Sharpener) but using Affinity Photo. In the Develop Persona, Detail Refinement has both Radius and Amount as percents (0-100). On the other hand, in the Photo Persona, Radius is in pixels (0-100) and Factor ranges from 0-4. Two questions: 1) since Radius in both is 1-100 can I assume that e.g., 5% in DP is equivalent to 5 pixels in PP, and 2) can I assume that an Amount of e.g., 25% in DP is equivalent to a Factor of 1 (25% of 4) in PP?

What is stopping you from testing whether A is equivalent to B?

7 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Here

DetailRefinement.png

Surely that's in the Develop Persona only, not in Photo Persona. That's the point of the question!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I think the thing is that Detail Refinement in the Develop Persona and Unsharp Mask in the Photo Persona aren't doing exactly the same thing, so the settings are different. (It would need someone with much more technical knowledge than me to say exactly what each tool is actually doing, although the results may look similar.) 😀

Develop Persona is intended for raw files (although I use it for all files) and Photo Persona for images that have been "developed".

One thing, when comparing results of filters etc always check at 100% view as looking at it at a reduced size can be misleading.

47 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I think the thing is that Detail Refinement in the Develop Persona and Unsharp Mask in the Photo Persona aren't doing exactly the same thing, so the settings are different.

(Currently) Detail Refinement and Unsharp Mask are the same filter, except UM has an additional threshold control.

2 hours ago, Bruce Atkinson said:

Detail Refinement in Develop Persona compared with Unsharp Mask (with Threshold 0%) in Photo Persona:

DR Radius 100% is equivalent to UM Radius 5 px

DR Amount 100% is equivalent to UM Factor 2

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Detail Refinement in Develop Persona compared with Unsharp Mask (with Threshold 0%) in Photo Persona:

DR Radius 100% is equivalent to UM Radius 5 px

DR Amount 100% is equivalent to UM Factor 2

Is this the same in the Photo persona?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

24 minutes ago, j3rry said:

Is this the same in the Photo persona?

Expanded, this is what it all means

100% Radius in Detail Refinement (DR) in the Develop Persona is the equivalent of 5 pixel Radius in Unsharp Mask (UM) in the Photo Persona

100% Amount in Detail Refinement (DR) in the Develop Persona is the equivalent of Factor of 2 in Unsharp Mask (UM) in the Photo Persona