[By Design] Pasting from Illustrator

This is more of an annoyance than a bug, but when you copy basic vector objects from Adobe Illustrator and paste them into Affinity Designer, Designer always creates a superfluous layer and inserts the pasted objects into it. This has the added inconvenience of objects within layers not allowing you to use the cmd+[ and cmd+] commands to z-order objects within layers until they are removed from a layer. So the workflow forces you to paste from illustrator, select all objects within the layer, remove objects from layer on layer panel, delete layer then continue editing.

Could it be adjusted to just paste the objects without creating extra layers in designer when pasting from Illustrator? I do a lot of cross platform work for my job and this has bugged me for months, haha.

Thanks so much!

(video attached - shows me pasting an object set from illustrator, then removing them from the layer to be able to adjust z-order, the extra layer isn't needed and causes inconvenience) 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

40 minutes ago, TonyO said:

when you copy basic vector objects from Adobe Illustrator and paste them into Affinity Designer, Designer always creates a superfluous layer and inserts the pasted objects into it.

Do you have the preference in Designer set to copy items as SVG?

Perhaps Illustrator is doing the extra layer thing when you copy it. Is there a preference in Illustrator to copy without a layer?

I don't have Illustrator to test this.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

This isn’t an issue when copy pasting within designer, this happens exclusively when copying from adobe illustrator and pasting into affinity designer. The copy svg setting won’t affect this because the copy step happens in illustrator. Doesn't look like illustrator has any settings like this this for copying. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• Moderators

Hi both,

This is not exactly an issue with our app.

We use the info Illustrator provides. That "layer" will take in the layer name you've used in illustrator, so it's not something we use as a container. It's the structure set from illustrator. SVG is not the highest priority when we use clipboard data, and other methods (PDF stream and aicb both include the "layer" data from illustrator). 

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 15.20.44.png