You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reorder points of a shape

I have a shape that contains two parts (as the eye sees it): a wavy circle and a shape around and across it.

image.png.34fc5541bfc9cbff2816a985b7597c7e.png

Now I need to separate the wavy circle part from the rest to give it a different colour. Unfortunately, the two are merged inseparably. I can remove the points around but then the order of the points is unusable.

image.png.dd03140ee0a942ee2648978f66e6e447.png

What can I do to change the order of the points so that the wavy line continues around the circle and doesn't jump over to the over end of it? The other shape all around isn't there anymore so these connections are now invalid. If I try to cut the shape at these points, I get complete garbage. Can this problem be solved at all? I could probably solve this by exporting to SVG and manipulate the source code, but finding the correct points will be a huge challenge then.

I found another problem which is probably a bug in AD: I tried to subtract a rectangle from that shape, and then I lost a hole in what should be left intact:

image.png.c5ad1b1179c40d53ade28565ca428454.png

After subtract:

image.png.aebad160dd7e65d77299f1ef171ca0e0.png

How can I get back (or not lose) the holes in the two parts at the bottom?

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 on Windows 10.

I made another copy of the inner parts and subtracted that in a second step from the result to fix up the first subtraction. So I could solve this for now. It would still be nice if the subtraction worked correctly the first time.

Here's the source you can play with: https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=certificate&i=3215696 (download as SVG)

I could also solve my initial task with this approach. The geometry operation (subtract) has done the necessary steps to split up the paths so that I could remove the other part and keep the wavy circle alone. (With some touchup at the cut points.) This isn't an ideal approach because underneath my copy of that circle alone there still lies the original complete shape. So I have the full shape with some colour which is partially covered with the same shape of another colour. I hope it won't cause trouble with a colour fringe when printing.

• Staff

Hi @ygoe,
For the first case draw a new rectangle (as you did in you second post) and subtract it from the original object (again as you did in the second post), then start deleting the nodes from the lines on the left and right side until you end up with the wavy circle.

Regarding the second case (second post) select the original object go to menu Layer and switch the Fill Mode to Alternate before or after the subtract operation. Or delete subtract the inner shapes as you did.

31 minutes ago, MEB said:

Your design differs from the original posted above - it's a wavy circle, not a "cloudy" one - although both are easy to re-create.

Yes, I noticed that it wasn’t exactly the same. Too lazy to work out how to give it the proper wavy look!

Edit: If you’re happy to lose the editability of the parametric cloud shape, you can get a pretty good result simply by converting to curves and changing the nodes from sharp to smooth.

CE7D29E3-4D20-4760-8CEA-661231709013.jpeg.a036867055c3c3b39b2d4df7caf67bbc.jpeg

Certificate.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)