You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher split imported table

I've just imported an IDML file created by InDesign into Publisher.

Very impressed by how well everything was handled

except

the original IDML file had several tables that spread over more than a single page.

I understand that Publisher cannot currently handle multi-page tables.

But what's the  best way to split up the tables that are in my imported document?

Currently they overflow a page and the bottom of the table is outside the page boundary?

I'd be happy to split the table manually, but I can't find a way to do that.

So far the only solution I've found is to duplicate the table and delete the top lines from the first copy and the bottom lines from the second copy.

But that gets tedious with a really long table that covers more than two pages.

Adriandw

• Staff

This is a IDML feature that Publisher isn't going to be supporting. Your workaround is possible, another option would be to create the table using the Table Tool in Publisher, thats if it has the required options for you.

1 minute ago, Lee D said:

It's a decision for the developers, if they decide to, we don't have timeframe as to when that may be.

Me = Lost in translation. So the developers decide whether this feature is implemented or not. Maybe yes, maybe not yet, maybe never. No ETAs here is "as expected".

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, mandrael said:

Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 can't make a simple table flow to the next page like any basic word processor can do? And I can't do anything about it??

This is correct. One feature among others we are eagerly waiting for.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 8 months later...

I keep looking at Beta builds of Publisher for table improvements: 

tables that continue across a page/column break or, failing that, the ability to split/join tables , Word-style, to achieve the same effect manually.

There must be other people creating documents with big tables who would value this function.

My not-very-satisfactory workaround is to create the table in Word, export to PDF and then insert the resulting pages (cropped, one by one) into my Publisher document.

• 1 month later...

I have been asking Affinity to take tables more seriously for a very long time, but don't waste your time - they are not listening. I personally know of several sales they have lost because of the woeful implementation of tables. I am still using InDesign for much of my magazine production because of this. You cannot call yourself a serious DTP programme if you can't flow tables across pages. I really wanted AP to succeed in the beginning, which is why I spent so much time advising them of what professionals need, and there are some excellent aspects of the software, but they seem to have stagnated. Without saved presets for things like find and replace and without table flow, it will never be a productive tool for magazine and catalogue designers. I'm afraid they have a closed mind set and refuse to listen to the experts who use DTP for more than a fancy village fete flyer.

4 hours ago, captain_slocum said:

I'm afraid they have a closed mind set and refuse to listen to the experts who use DTP for more than a fancy village fete flyer.

I'm sure they are listening but their development priorities may not align to our personal workflows. We each have features that are most important to us and I certainly have my own, too, but Serif is a small company and has to prioritize their efforts. Those of us on this discussion board may not be representative of the current and target customer base as a whole.

I think it's unfair to say that Publisher is only suitable for a fancy flyer - people are doing serious work with it. The lack of table splitting hurts productivity but it doesn't stop you from producing a document with tables. Likewise, the lack of cross references doesn't stop me from publishing a book, I just have to do leave them until the end of the process and do them manually. Tedious but it's my choice, if I don't like it I could use ID.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Yep for me also this is quite a key feature that needs development attention.
I really love Afinnity. I am hooked on it. But this is not one of those nice to have features that we are missing. Please can you UP the priority to include this extendable table feature that allows for table management over multiple pages. Auto header rows when the overflow goes to a new page.

And then when a new row or two or three is inserted, the rows automatically push them overflow to the next page or table cell if it is linked.