You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easier way to create a jagged edge vector shape

Hi,

you can try to use some cloud, gear, star shape tool and adjust in the top toolbar settings the amount of spikes/corners to draw that one. Then convert the used shape to curves and alter some it's spikes  nodes. - Alternative find some vector shape with rough jagged edges in the net and reuse that one, or in case of a bitmap drawing autotrace that to a vector object (SVG, PDF) for reuse in Affinity Designer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you v_kyr, I just tried the shape tool suggestion but that is also time-consuming. Searching for vectors with jagged edges and reusing them by moving the nodes around is what I'm currently doing, but again, it's tedious work. I watch videos how this software does some amazing things, there has to be a faster way.

1 hour ago, StuffaPalooza said:

The Roughen Curves tool is what I need but that's just a dream right now. @JimmyJack I have Photo and I'm not sure what you did but it might work. I used the Trapezoid shape and used the Displace Live Filter but it doesn't do what I see in your screenshot. It doesn't appear to have done anything. So I'm missing something.

Displace uses the lightness values of other imagery to displace what you're working on. The explanation in Photo's Help dropdown is pretty good.

Basically you have two options. You can load an image (what I did above) or use the imagery in lower layers in your working file.
I've attached a file using the second method. It's using a Perlin Noise pixel layer as the displacement.
I also included a vectorized object done in Inkscape..... A pretty easy roundtrip.

Why this nothing ~600px by ~600px file is 14mb I have no idea.

Displace_and_vectorized.afphoto

• 11 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, JimmyJack said:

Displace uses the lightness values of other imagery to displace what you're working on. The explanation in Photo's Help dropdown is pretty good.

Basically you have two options. You can load an image (what I did above) or use the imagery in lower layers in your working file.
I've attached a file using the second method. It's using a Perlin Noise pixel layer as the displacement.
I also included a vectorized object done in Inkscape..... A pretty easy roundtrip.

Why this nothing ~600px by ~600px file is 14mb I have no idea.

Displace_and_vectorized.afphoto 14.01 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks for this! I've been having a good time playing with this. 1459522177_ScreenShot2021-08-11at5_05_51PM.thumb.png.61b5103d1e4297cb676348d019688d2c.png