You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing 8.5 x 11 inch photo without border

@OhGee,

The normal procedure for borderless printing is to size the image in the editor to exactly the size of the photo paper.  When the "Borderless" box is selected in the printer driver, the printer itself actually prints the image slightly larger than the paper size, which results in some cropping, but edge to edge printing.

So for example, if your paper size is 8.5" x 11" then I would expect you should be sizing your image to 8.5" x 11" in your editor.

What confuses me a little is that when I look up the specifications for an Epson FX-8500 photo printer, it says "True BorderFree™ printing is only available for media sizes: 4" x 6", 5" x 7" and A4,.
Perhaps an FX-8500 is different to an 8500.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

45 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

when I look up the specifications for an Epson FX-8500 photo printer, it says "True BorderFree™ printing is only available for media sizes: 4" x 6", 5" x 7" and A4,.
Perhaps an FX-8500 is different to an 8500.

There was also an XP-8500, which prints borderless up to 8" x 10", and its successor XP-8600 has the same limit.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To Greyfox and walt.farrell:

Thank you both for your replies. I have an Epson XP-8500 and I have read the specs about its limitations. HOWEVER, I know the XP-8500 can print True Borderless 8.5 x 11 inch prints because I have done it. I have two (2) examples in front of me as proof of having done it in the last week. The problem is that I don't know how I managed to do it. I thought maybe someone knows the "magic" button.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There was also an XP-8500, which prints borderless up to 8" x 10", and its successor XP-8600 has the same limit.

According to the XP-8500 user guide, borderless sizes include 8.5" x 11"

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd53910/source/printers/source/paper_loading/reference/xp8500/paper_borderless_types_us_canada_xp8500.html

I have discovered that by using the Rear Feed tray, it is easy for me to consistently print a borderless 8.5 x 11 inch image with my Epson XP-8500.

In the past, I  occasionally succeeded in printing borderless with paper in the main tray, but don't know what I did. I would still like to know how to do that consistently.

DWright: Here is the info about my settings that you requested. Thank you for your interest in helping me solve my problem.

Paper source: Auto Select and paper in the main tray
Paper size: US Letter borderless
Fit type: Scale     or Fit to printable
Bleed and Marks: I’ve tried all the variations for bleed and printer marks.

Loyalty is Key,

I do not use Windows so I can't really answer you question. However, have you tried to see if "Document Size" has a drop down window for Letter (8.5 x 11 in)? There might be a choice for "Borderless."

Good luck.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Loyalty Is Key said:

I'm having issues finding the "Borderless" selection when printing from Affinity. If I go to printer settings through "Devices" then I have the option, but when I'm printing from Affinity everything is there except for the feature. Very weird. 

Printer - Epson WF-7720

Windows

Epson WF-7720 Settings from Affinity.jpg

Epson WF-7720 Settings from Devices.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 11:20 PM, Loyalty Is Key said:

I'm having issues finding the "Borderless" selection when printing from Affinity. If I go to printer settings through "Devices" then I have the option, but when I'm printing from Affinity everything is there except for the feature. Very weird. 

Isn't this caused by the fact that the first screen shot has the Paper Source set as "Paper Cassette 1" and in the second it is set to "Auto"?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 months later...

I had this problem too. Here is my story/explanation/solution:

My HP 8710 prints borderless, I know, I've done it before from other apps. Yesterday, I created an A4 document and was unable print borderless. The problem relates to the printer itself, not Affinity, the printer only supports borderless printing for smaller sizes, however, when I checked, it doesn't for A4. So check your printer's spec. To test this out I created a 7 x 5 inch paper template, updated my project and placed a piece of 7 x 5 inch paper in the printer. The printer detected I had changed the size from A4 and asked me for dimensions and paper type. I then tried to print my project. The paper size came up in the Affinity print dialogue and offered me a borderless option. It worked perfectly, job done! Bottom line, check your printer's spec can actually print borderless at the size you want.