You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lasso select vertices/points, regardless of object belonging

This is a showstopper for us.

At work, we need to be able to lasso select a number of vertices/points, regardless of which object they belong to, and delete them.

This is due to us working with illustrations exported from Solidworks Composer, which produces thousands of often overlapping lines/objects, which need to be manually cleaned up.

8 minutes ago, eobet said:

At work, we need to be able to lasso select a number of vertices/points, regardless of which object they belong to, and delete them.

Hi @eobet,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. As long as all independent objects are selected with the V tool you can switch to the Node Tool and then ALT+drag around nodes. This lasso selects nodes from all objects regardless of where they belong to.

Does this work for you?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks, a few comments on that:

• The discoverability of that option is rather low (you need to read the status bar hints).
  • Affinity Photo has a proper lasso tool... why can't Designer have the same?
  • The fact that you first must select all objects in order to get this working is an extra step.

Also, I unfortunately couldn't get it to work, because although it looks as if it selects things, when I hit delete, everything disappears:

GIF 07.09.2020 12-41-28.gif

6 minutes ago, eobet said:
  • The discoverability of that option is rather low (you need to read the status bar hints).
  • Affinity Photo has a proper lasso tool... why can't Designer have the same?
  • The fact that you first must select all objects in order to get this working is an extra step.

Also, I unfortunately couldn't get it to work, because although it looks as if it selects things, when I hit delete, everything disappears:

About discoverability: I can't argue about this but - as always - we have to learn our tools.

To select all objects you hit CTRL+a once. Yes, one step more.

I tried again what happens when I hit delete. This seems to work for me as expected. Selected nodes get deleted.
Can you perhaps try with two simple objects and see if this works at all? I can't tell from your screenrecording what makes your object different from mine, except that I created a couple of rather simple lines by myself. 🙂

Addition: I tried again on a rather complex file with a huge amount of vector shapes that originated from a vectorized image. Selection and deletion of nodes works there, too.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 hours ago, eobet said:

although it looks as if it selects things, when I hit delete, everything disappears:

To my eye it does not look as though you have selected the nodes you dragged over the second time. They should look solid blue not the same white with blue outlines nodes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:43 AM, eobet said:

Affinity Photo has a proper lasso tool... why can't Designer have the same?

That is only for raster selections, which would not include *any* nodes as those are vector objects.

Designer actually does have that same lasso tool in the pixel persona.

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Designer actually does have that same lasso tool in the pixel persona.

Also in the Designer Persona with the Node tool!? Drag+Alt = Lasso node selection. Click+Alt = Polygon node selection. But I have to admit, that the aforementioned methods are not so user friendly as in Illustrator.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed