You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lost image links

It is nice that missing images can be linked again when opening a document. But Publisher is stuck when the missing image does not exist. It has no option to leave one uot and go connect the next one.

But the main issue is: Why the heck did it loose the image connections in the first place? 

I got a folder with all the files from a customer (on windows). afpub and images are IN THE SAME FOLDER!!! and even this is not recognyzed by Publisher. I am really REALLY disappointed folks!

Publisher 1.8.4 / OSX Mojave

I think my head just exploded!

So, Publisher has a missed image dialogue when opening a document "searching for missing ressources" - I thought I have to give it the first one in a folder and then it finds all the others that are missing from that folder.

BUT NOPE

I have to choose and give it image by image.

I am really mad now - having to relink 100 images one by one.

Now I am really really missing Indesign - where this is done in 10 seconds, because it does what it is expected to do!

And not only that - but after 3 images Publisher freezes - like 2 years ago reported by user Eph 

Really - why do we report all this stuff here - and nothing happens about it...!

1 hour ago, Thomahawk said:

I thought I have to give it the first one in a folder and then it finds all the others that are missing from that folder.

You have to answer Yes to the dialog, not Resource Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 7 months later...
45 minutes ago, Lauren67 said:

Yes, why do the links keep getting lost even though the image files are still available?

There can be a variety of reasons, but we'd need to know more about your setup. Where are the images stored? Where is the base file stored?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 8 months later...

Yes this is really mad - the lost connections of pictures,  100 and more

I changed the filename of the document, but all pictures were collected in a folder called Images. More than 100 pictures say that they are connected, but the status says: missing !?!?!

So, what can I do there? 

In this case, i really miss InDesign, as Thomahawk mentioned previously.

I found the solution, based on Mr. Farrells tip:

If I click on YES (when the document opens) and look for the first demanded picture and then the next picture is needed, I abort the search. Then it looks for the pictures in this folder for some seconds and connects them new.

In this case, I suggest the programmers, to do it like InDesign, and inform the user on every step the program does. Per example, how many pictures were found etc.

In the current release of Publisher you can use the Resource Manager and click the Relink button.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: