You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity's "temp" files be safely deleted?

After using Affinity Publisher and quitting the program, I find a number of "temp" files left behind in the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/temp/

These files vary in size and have names like "5f3c2a2d" (etc.).

1. What are these files and can they be deleted without loss of function?

2. If they can be deleted, why does the program not delete them itself upon Quit?

Thanks for any clues.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

1 hour ago, cubesquareredux said:

After using Affinity Publisher and quitting the program, I find a number of "temp" files left behind in the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/temp/

Are you sure you are looking in the right folder?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

The temp folder stores files for the opened document so when it's saved they can be committed.

Thanks for the explanation!

This part is unclear to me:

When the app is reopened not closed the folder should be cleared out.

1. You mean that those files should be cleared out automatically? Why is this not done upon Quit? If information in those files has been committed upon Save, why not delete the files at that stage? What's the point of waiting until the program is re-opened?

2. Is it safe to empty the folder manually? Or is it not safe to do so?

Thanks again.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

13 minutes ago, cubesquareredux said:

1. You mean that those files should be cleared out automatically? Why is this not done upon Quit? If information in those files has been committed upon Save, why not delete the files at that stage? What's the point of waiting until the program is re-opened?

2. Is it safe to empty the folder manually? Or is it not safe to do so?

1. I suppose (don't know) they are used like cache files to speed up display rendering, so if you re-open the app + re-open recent document(s) those files can be used again and don't need to be written once more. Note that the files in "autosave" get deleted on closing the app. – Also, apparently those "temp" files get auto-deleted at any later time, otherwise we would have very old + very many files in this folder.

2. I deleted them a few times in the recent months without noticing any harm.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1